QWin 2015 Deluxe (R15): Sold all shares of a Stock Quicken register shows negative Securities Value

denmarfl
denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Sold all shares of Stock....and selected Transfer to the Brokerage Money Market acct.  The Q Register shows TOTAL MARKET VALUE as .00....which of course is correct.  The proceeds of the sale did transfer into the Q Brokerage MMF Register ....another Q acct I had setup.  So the money is properly showing where it is supposed to.  

The Stock Register shows SECURITIES VALUE as a RED/Negative Value, and, CASH BALANCE, the same dollar figure as Security Balance, its in Black.

This is the 1st such Q transaction of this type I have entered into Q.  I would have thought since I sold all shrs, Transferred Proceeds into the Brokerage MMF that the Stock Register would show ZERO balances in Securities Value and Cash balance.  Like I wrote above, the Stock Register does show .00 in Total market value. 

Is this the way this Sale and Transferring the funds to MMF Brokerage acct should show?  Dollar amts should display is Securities Value and Cash Balance at the bottom right of the Stocks Register?  I did open Q  Net Worth Chart and the Stock does show .00.....   

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Denmarfl,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide you with the most appropriate answer, please let us know which Quicken product (QWin or QMac), what version (2016, 2017,etc.) and what release you have installed. Also, let us know whether you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Quicken 2015 Deluxe for Windows10; Release  R15   Using US version of Quicken
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    @Quicken Dave: any update?  I have the same issue.  A 401k was transferred (company changed broker and funds), so everything was liquidated, cash transferred, and new funds purchased.  I mimicked that in Quicken (currently 2017 H&B on Windows 10), but the now closed account has a negative share balance. 

Holdings page is empty.  I have "show hidden transactions" enabled, but nothing jumps out (though, this account was 7 years old with thousands of transactions, so spotting an odd thing is hard).

My solution to stop it showing in Net Worth was a MiscInc cash transaction to get the account to zero, but it still shows up in other reporting.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Two transactions? Sell and Transfer Cash Out?

Or one transaction? SELLX?

SELLX messes things up.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Several transactions as the transfer out was the process of all funds in the account. There was a sale for each holding of each fund (contributions, employer match, transfer from previous employers, etc).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Several transactions as the transfer out was the process of all funds in the account. There was a sale for each holding of each fund (contributions, employer match, transfer from previous employers, etc).

Several...isn't the choice.

It's did you use a SELLX transaction (which is ONE transaction) or did you use a SELL and then Transfer Cash out (which is TWO transactions)?

And when you initiated the SELL, did you indicate to Quicken that you wanted to SELL "All shares"?  Or did you use a "fixed" amount, as probably indicated on your statement?

Quicken will then calculate the "valid, existing" number of shares in your account and clear them out.

if you haven't used this, then what you entered may have left fractional shares remaining, with a cash amount as well.  

Additionally, if that doesn't help you you might want to click on the account and security in the Portfolio View and see which "lots" are left.  Having that date might help you resolve the issue.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

The sell transactions were received via download.  I did go back and change the last transaction for each stock to use the checkbox, but the Number of Shares value didn't change.  I even went back to find the last transaction for each fund that I got out of over the course of of the account and did the same--all with no joy.

I finally broke down and did the feared "Validate and Repair" (after making a backup) [I had a bad experience when that made things worse back in 2005...]. That did correct the imbalance, but I wish the report would have been more specific about what it did (I'm assuming that ACC_13f2 was the account in question...).
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired damaged transaction index.  No action required.
    Quicken repaired some transaction information.  No action required.
     "ACCT_13f2"  1/19/2007

Summary:
    Quicken repaired 1 accounts.  No action required.
This discussion has been closed.