Category popup is partially off screen in Quicken 2018, Windows 10/64 bit

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Reports (Windows)
When I click in the category field to change a category or enter a new one, if the field is in a certain place on the screen, like from 1/4 of the way down to 1/2 way down, the category popup will appear partially off the screen.  Below is a screenshot:
Now you can see that I clicked "d" (for Food:Dining Out) and you'll see that the popup above (in the upper right) shows the categories off the top of the screen, completely inaccessible.  I was SO hoping it would be fixed in release 2018, but apparently not.  I'm using Windows 10 with 64 bit.

Now, I know it had that problem in my prior 2015 Deluxe release, but I was hoping it would be fixed after so many years.  I searched online here and found over 38,000 posts on this problem.  I've tried the "fixes" like having enough screen resolution (I have 1920 x 1080), fonts at 100% not 125% or larger (check!), unchecking the "Minimize popups" checkbox in preferences, etc.  And setting the taskbar to auto-hide doesn't seem like a solution that would work since it's a problem at the top of the screen, not the bottom of the screen.

If the category field is in the upper quarter or lower half of the screen, I can see the entire popup, but not if it's in that certain range of the upper screen.  So now, I have to scroll my window until I know the field is in a "good" part of the screen where it will work.

My question is "Is this a known error and is it on the plan to be fixed?"  I hope the answer is yes but since people here have been complaining about it for the last 4 years, my guess is that Quicken knows about it but either doesn't know how to fix it, or just doesn't care to fix it."  What's the true story about this annoying bug?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    It's back.  This was a common problem in Quicken Windows 2016 and 2017...and was fixed in a recent update to those versions.

Can't believe this bug is back again in 2018.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    so it looks like there is no solution???
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

It's back.  This was a common problem in Quicken Windows 2016 and 2017...and was fixed in a recent update to those versions.

Can't believe this bug is back again in 2018.  

Each of the releases are branches.  It looks like the fix never made it to the 2018 release of Quicken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    There is a solution:

This is the single MOST FRUSTRATING part of Quicken and has existed since at least 2014.  It made me search for an alternative to Quicken.  I finally upgraded from 2016 to 2018 today with fingers crossed and the problem still exists!  They have to be losing market-share with such an antiquated look-n-feel. 

Here's the approach they took and understanding that, the solution.  The category pop-up is designed to always popup ABOVE the category field when it's called (and CAN'T be repositioned).  So, if you are on a row lower on the screen - there is no issue.  But anywhere half way up or above, the fixed popup box size will be off the screen with no ability to see a needed Category for selection.  This is especially noticeable after importing data and wanting to update the category in entry after entry. 

Another related piece that is just stupid - at the bottom of the category popup and always visible is a button that will popup the entire list of categories.  This popup is ALWAYS fully visible (imagine that).  HOWEVER, the stupid part is that you can't select from this list to deposit into the category field. It's just a read-only, searchable list of categories.   If we at least had the ability to select from this list, it would reduce the anger.  Honestly - someone please fix this basic, used-all-the-time area of the application.  It reflects poorly on Quicken and makes me continuously look for an alternative.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

There is a solution:

This is the single MOST FRUSTRATING part of Quicken and has existed since at least 2014.  It made me search for an alternative to Quicken.  I finally upgraded from 2016 to 2018 today with fingers crossed and the problem still exists!  They have to be losing market-share with such an antiquated look-n-feel. 

Here's the approach they took and understanding that, the solution.  The category pop-up is designed to always popup ABOVE the category field when it's called (and CAN'T be repositioned).  So, if you are on a row lower on the screen - there is no issue.  But anywhere half way up or above, the fixed popup box size will be off the screen with no ability to see a needed Category for selection.  This is especially noticeable after importing data and wanting to update the category in entry after entry. 

Another related piece that is just stupid - at the bottom of the category popup and always visible is a button that will popup the entire list of categories.  This popup is ALWAYS fully visible (imagine that).  HOWEVER, the stupid part is that you can't select from this list to deposit into the category field. It's just a read-only, searchable list of categories.   If we at least had the ability to select from this list, it would reduce the anger.  Honestly - someone please fix this basic, used-all-the-time area of the application.  It reflects poorly on Quicken and makes me continuously look for an alternative.  

Peter, thanks.  Interesting to hear that making sure your line is in the bottom of the screen is their workaround.  That's what I've been doing. I think I'll call them anyway and ask them how to do it.  Hopefully if enough of us scream about this they'll eventually fix it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

There is a solution:

It’s been around so long but worth a try. It’s not a ‘bug-bug’, but just a continual pain. My fear is that the new owners of Quicken will simply treat the product as a cash cow. I’m stunned at how little changed from 2016 to 2018 version except cosmetics and product mix. They should look in rear view mirror at Personal Capital and get motivated.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I just stumbled across this also - Win10 - Q2018 - R9.34 - NOT updating to the current mess....

Didn't realize the pop-up was an issue until I tried to modifiy a Category in transaction  that just happen to be toward the top of the Register listing... vs down more toward the bottom like the most recent/current entries - which is where I usually edit the transactions.

Snipping Tool Trick #1:
    To capture a drop-down menu or other item that disappears when the window loses focus.....
    - Start the Windows Snipping Tool
    - press the Esc key before you start your screen grab, 
    - open the menu or other on-screen element,
    - press Ctrl-Print Screen, -
    ( you might need the FN key on laptops for the Ctrl-Prnt-Scrn )
    - choose your snip type,
    - make the selection of the screen area to be grabbed
    - Save As....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    ps56k said:

I just stumbled across this also - Win10 - Q2018 - R9.34 - NOT updating to the current mess....

Didn't realize the pop-up was an issue until I tried to modifiy a Category in transaction  that just happen to be toward the top of the Register listing... vs down more toward the bottom like the most recent/current entries - which is where I usually edit the transactions.

Snipping Tool Trick #1:
    To capture a drop-down menu or other item that disappears when the window loses focus.....
    - Start the Windows Snipping Tool
    - press the Esc key before you start your screen grab, 
    - open the menu or other on-screen element,
    - press Ctrl-Print Screen, -
    ( you might need the FN key on laptops for the Ctrl-Prnt-Scrn )
    - choose your snip type,
    - make the selection of the screen area to be grabbed
    - Save As....

Yes this bug was actually fixed in early releases of the 2018 release of Quicken, but when they did the switch over from Intuit to Quicken Id, they merged a lot of code and it seems they reintroduced this problem.

What's more the fix that was put in place wasn't "100%".
    What it did was resize the dialog based on screen resolution/Windows scaling.
    And that worked for most people, but some people reported (and I confirmed) that certain combinations it didn't resize correctly.

What they need to do is real simple reduce the size of that dialog.  It isn't really "mandatory" that it be so big.
  • I see that the problem was "fixed" in the 2017 version.  Not so in the 2017 Premier verfsion
This discussion has been closed.