Conversion from QW2016 to QM2018 Hanging

I am using Quicken Premier for Mac 2018 5.4.4 which is newly installed. Previously I used Quicken Premier for Windows 2016. I am trying to convert the QW2016 data into QM2018. I validated and repaired the QW2016 file before starting.

QM2018 hangs on "Importing Data..." with "12855 of 40355 Transactions remaining..."

I waited up to 24 hours of 100% CPU use without progress so it would appear that Quicken is in an infinite loop.

I tried reinstalling Quicken for Mac without change.

I tried validating the QW file a second time without change.

I called customer support today and spent 1.5 hours on the phone with no progress.

My guess is that there are a few bad transactions but I have no way to figure out which transactions are causing the import issue.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thank you.

Michael

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Go back to Quicken Windows, create a Quicken copy of your data file and then Validate and Repair that Quicken Copy data file.

Fix any errors Quicken finds.

Then try importing that copy validated data file into Quicken Mac.
  • Michael Sayre
    Michael Sayre Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thank you for the hints. I tried creating a Quicken copy of my data file using QW2016 and then Validate and Repaired the copy. An error was found regarding the categories assigned to two transactions. Unfortunately, the exact same hanging behavior occurred.

I am now trying the conversion again after converting the file to Quicken for Windows 2018. I observed that the file format did not change so I am not optimistic.

Quicken tech support suggests exporting to a QXF file then importing the QXF formatted data. I will give that a try in the morning, but I am worried it is going to be a lot of work cleaning up old transfers, etc. I have a memory of doing that once about 4-5 years ago and it was not fun.

Any other ideas?

Michael
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Thank you for the hints. I tried creating a Quicken copy of my data file using QW2016 and then Validate and Repaired the copy. An error was found regarding the categories assigned to two transactions. Unfortunately, the exact same hanging behavior occurred.

I am now trying the conversion again after converting the file to Quicken for Windows 2018. I observed that the file format did not change so I am not optimistic.

Quicken tech support suggests exporting to a QXF file then importing the QXF formatted data. I will give that a try in the morning, but I am worried it is going to be a lot of work cleaning up old transfers, etc. I have a memory of doing that once about 4-5 years ago and it was not fun.

Any other ideas?

Michael

Start a brand new file as of January 1, 2018????
  • Michael Sayre
    Michael Sayre Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I have decided to give up on this problem and stick with Quicken for Windows 2018 for now. The Mac version is still not as robust as the Windows version. I can live with VMWare Fusion on my Mac for another year in hopes that Quicken for Mac will improve further. Eventually even Microsoft has figured out that supporting Mac users with robust software is the future of desktop computing.

Michael
This discussion has been closed.