Net worth over time in Quicken for Mac 2017

Joe13
Joe13 Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Mac)
The net worth over time report is not capturing all the data that is reflected in the account summary.  It is missing some investment data, even when I uncheck and then recheck all of the accounts that I want included.

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Could not replicate this issue , I have all my investment accounts checked..all show up in the Net Worth over time. What am I missing ?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Net Worth Over Time shows incorrect values for investment accounts in Quicken 201....

I just noticed that the values for each month in my investment accounts (in the Net Worth Over Time report) does not line up with the actual value of the account according to the transactions and prices that are entered. They don't even come close to the values shown on the portfolio graph either. Any ideas about what is going on to make this happen?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    kitcmac said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Net Worth Over Time shows incorrect values for investment accounts in Quicken 201....

I just noticed that the values for each month in my investment accounts (in the Net Worth Over Time report) does not line up with the actual value of the account according to the transactions and prices that are entered. They don't even come close to the values shown on the portfolio graph either. Any ideas about what is going on to make this happen?

1 You don't have all your accounts selected in the Net Worth report. 

2 You aren't comparing the same date in the Net Worth report to that same date in the registers.
  • Matt Payette
    Matt Payette Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    kitcmac said:

I've just upgraded to QMac 2018 and I'm experiencing something similar. The issue is not the total "net worth" (so it is not the accounts selected), it is the value that the net worth report is pulling in for specific investment accounts. I have a few that are an exact match with what is shown in the individual account register, I have a few that are out a few dollars and cents but I have one that is overstate by over $600,000. I have checked the dates I I don't see any issues there. Not sure what is happening, any other suggestions to check on?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    kitcmac said:

Now that you mention it, it's Jan 1, 2018.

And I have no idea where the total for my liabilities comes from in the Net Worth Over Time report...because the sum of my mortgage balance plus the amount I owe on my credit cards isn't close to what's the actual number is if I manually add them together.

I'm too lazy to even total my assets...but I'd assume that's incorrect as well.  

Yet, I've created a Net Worth report that includes just my investment accounts...and that number agrees with the total in the sidebar for my investment accounts (within 2 cents). 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    kitcmac said:

Actually, after "drilling down" to see the individual accounts in the Net Worth report, I see that the balances are actually the balances with "future dated" transactions from the registers that are already entered...thus making the calculations correct.
  • Matt Payette
    Matt Payette Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    kitcmac said:

I don't have any future dated transactions to through off my individual account total. I'm looking a net worth report for 2017 by month and the one investment account is still overstated by over $600,000 each month from what the individual account register states.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    kitcmac said:

Matt – I posted this yesterday on another thread. Here is the link so that you can see what others have said:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/net-worth-over-time-shows-incorrect-values-for-i...

I will repost here what I wrote so that it stays with this thread:

QMac 2017, Sierra

I was just comparing my Net Worth Over Time (NWOT) report with actual balances and discovered a similar issue in my Vanguard account. In November, I sold out of one fund, but Vanguard made three transactions out of the sale (for three different sources in my 403(b) – employee contribution, employer contribution, and rollover).

The NWOT was overstated by the amount of the two latter transactions for that date (the two listed after the first one). In other words, Quicken was not subtracting the shares for these two sells in the Net Worth Report, but was subtracting the shares for the first transaction listed in the register. Of course the register was subtracting the shares correctly (or I would have noticed this right away); it was just NWOT that was off.

When I changed the date for either of these two latter transactions (it didn't matter which one) the NWOT became correct! So, it appears that there can be two sells listed for the same date and the Net Worth Report is correct, but not three. Note that on that same date, there were 12 buy transactions (four funds times three sources), but they did not appear to have caused any problems. There were no Reinvest Dividend or other type of transaction on that date.

This certainly appears to be a bug. For now, I'm going to combine the two smaller transactions, but it would be great if this bug gets addressed.

Follow up – I combined the two smaller transactions into one, so that there were now two sell transactions, but the NWOT report was still incorrect! So I combined the two sells into one (leaving the 12 buys as is) and finally the NWOT report was correct.

So, it appears perhaps that multiple transactions of different types on the same date may be the cause of the NWOT errors.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm doing some estate planning and entered under the Asset category separate entries for the value of my piano, condo and 2017 automobile.  The Net Worth over time report does not include these values, although it does include asset values entered within the 12 month net worth time period.  Weird.  I can see all the property values in the Asset account summary, but the Net Worth over Time report ought to include the value of assets entered at any time.
This discussion has been closed.