How to use Quicken Home and Business 2015 for transferring shares

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I'm using Windows7/64.  I've used the program for years with good results.  I created a new IRA account and tried to transfer the contents of two other IRA's into it.  The value of the new account is within one percent, but the number of shares is off by a factor of two. evidently, the process failed to take into account the price per share of the new fund and convert the number of shares.  Now what?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Please expand.  

Your message suggests you are looking at these as single mutual fund accounts . Transferring shares is just that - moving exactly the same shares from one account (pocket) to another.  That does not cause the type or shares to change (fro one fund to another).  

If the specific shares are also changing, that is typically a Sell of the old shares and a Buy of the new shares (there are exceptions).

It may be that you did not need to create a new account.

Please clarify your setup and what you are looking for to happen.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I had two different IRA Mutual Fund accounts.  Each account contained the shares of one Mutual Fund.  The Funds were different, but with the same investment company.  I transferred both accounts (rolled over) into a third, different mutual fund with the same company.  So, the total dollar value is the same, but the name of the fund the dollars are invested in is different and the number of shares is different.  Are you saying I should have sold the shares in the first two funds, then bought the shares in the third fund?  That makes sense.  I can do that.  But how do I undo what I have done and put it back the way it was?  BTW -- thanks for your help.  I already have learned something!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Dave said:

I had two different IRA Mutual Fund accounts.  Each account contained the shares of one Mutual Fund.  The Funds were different, but with the same investment company.  I transferred both accounts (rolled over) into a third, different mutual fund with the same company.  So, the total dollar value is the same, but the name of the fund the dollars are invested in is different and the number of shares is different.  Are you saying I should have sold the shares in the first two funds, then bought the shares in the third fund?  That makes sense.  I can do that.  But how do I undo what I have done and put it back the way it was?  BTW -- thanks for your help.  I already have learned something!

Are you saying I should have sold the shares in the first two funds, then bought the shares in the third fund?  
    I am saying you could have done that (maybe).  

Depending on the MF family, you may or may not be required to have a separate account for each fund (also assuming you download transactions).  Given that you have been doing that (one fund per account) and are comfortable with that, I would simply enter a Sell for each of the funds in the account you now have them in, and use the proceeds of those sales to Buy the right number of shares of the new fund. 

Going forward, if you are interested in multiple funds in the one account, that can be addressed.  I think you are now set up for that (by having the two funds now in one account).  Having multiple funds in one account is a reason to have the account name different than the fund name.  Funds (securities) and Accounts are two different animals in Quicken.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Dave said:

I am working on a plan to delete the two transactions that transferred the two accounts into the new account.  Then I will do the sell/buy transactions.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Dave said:

A new problem.  I got all the shares sold/bought, and into the new account.  The value of the account is wrong.  If I multiply the share balance in the account by the share price it should be $XXXXX.  But the value reads 50 times smaller.  I have one other account that has done that also and I can't get either one to behave.  All other accounts are fine...
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Dave said:

Look at the portfolio view (Ctrl-U) for your investments.  The Show: Value should be fine.  That will show number of shares, and Quote/Price per share for each security you own.  You can Group by Account.  You can set the "As of" date.

Value is shares x price.  Which is off by 50X?  

You can Rt-click on a security name to access and edit/correct that security's price history.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Dave said:

It looks like there is a problem with the history.  There is a "place holder" entry. I haven't figured out just what is wrong and how to correct it.  i have all the history, so it won't be a problem when I figure out how to change things. I will try the CNtrl U thing and see what happens.  Thanks.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Dave said:

The placeholder transaction (Adjust Share Balance) should be a deletable transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Dave said:

It's late here, almost 11 pm.  I will take up the battle tomorrow.  I will leave this page up on the computer so I won't have to hunt for it in the morning.  I appreciate your help. I have used Quicken for 20 years and have never mastered the thing  :-)  
    Good night.
This discussion has been closed.