change account type

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Qucken 2018 (build 27.1.4.10):  Quicken user for many, many years.  With the announcement of "independent" Quicken (moving from Intuit) I was looking forward to the new release.  One of my frustrations has been having to enter the "Security Name" when updating my investment accounts.  I realized that my accounts listed as SEP IRA automatically populated the name.  An account was added recently and NOT listed as SEP so name does not appear.

QUESTION: I have found no way to change the account from Traditional IRA to SEP IRA.  Is there a way.

Question/Suggestion: Is there any way for the Security Name to be included automatically from the Account name?

Thanks

Ed

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Looks to me like if you right-click on the account name in the accounts list, you can then edit the name. But also, my security names seem to auto-populate from my traditional IRA, same as my SEP-IRA. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean by auto-populated; it auto-populates based on the first few letters I type. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Looks to me like if you right-click on the account name in the accounts list, you can then edit the name. But also, my security names seem to auto-populate from my traditional IRA, same as my SEP-IRA. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean by auto-populated; it auto-populates based on the first few letters I type. 

Thanks so much for the extremely quick response.  Right clicking to edit does not provide the option to change from Traditional IRA to SEP-IRA, and while those set as SEP do auto populate with security name.  It can auto complete but I have so many securities that start the same, Pimco, it always robs a little time.  Just which I could change it to SEP IRA or QUICKEN would include an option so that all investments autopopulate.  As I mentioned, I have been using Quicken since the early days and I wonder if year after year update may have somehow kept it from doing what apparently your version does.  Thanks again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Oh, and sorry, by "auto-populate" I mean that the Security Name is automatically pulled from the Account and placed in the Security Name section without having to type anything.  I have attached a screenshot as an example.  Again, when I have create Accounts as SEP IRA names appear when adding reinvestment.  So, if I could change Traditional to SEP it might work, but wish all names would appear.

Screenshot attached.image 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hm. Well, my security name does not auto-populate either in the way you mean. Not sure how that would even work, is it that you only have one security in that particular account? That is not the case for any of my accounts. 

When you say you can't change from traditional IRA to SEP-IRA, you are aware (unless I'm the one who's mistaken) that this is only a part of the NAME of that account? I don't believe that it's a "type" that you can change, I wonder if that's the part that has you confused. Or I'm the one who's confused, totally possible! :-) For example, I have an account that's NAMED "My SEP-IRA", and one that's named "Spouse's Traditional IRA". Pretty sure you can change the name by right-clicking on the account list. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks again.  My SEP-IRA accounts are separate ticker symptoms.  Another screenshot below.  When I open that SEP-IRA listed investment the Security Name is already listed:  I type nothing.  And , when clicking on "edit" it is listed as a SEP IRA "account type."

Appreciate the input and I know it's tough communicating with words only (only 7% effective according to research - grinning).  If there's anybody from Quicken (2018) who is monitoring this, I would love to know if something could be created that would:
    (1)  Allows "Security Name" to be completely populated without having to type even a few letters (tied directly to the "Account") and
    (2)  Without having to delete and enter an investment again, be able to change an investment listed as a "traditional IRA" to a SEP IRA" or Brokerage, etc. since it appears this is not an option.

Technology, we can't live without it, we can't live with it (grinning).  I fully own how much time I waste (and probably time of others like Always Challenge More Show) when I attempt to find something that might in reality only save a little time.

Thanks again for the input and help.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    From C. D. Bales:

I can't speak for Q2018, but I can speak for earlier versions (and I suspect that the same holds true for Q2018): the designation of a Quicken account as an SEP IRA has nothing to do with whether the security name will be automatically populated when you enter transactions in the account.

"I have found no way to change the account from Traditional IRA to SEP IRA. Is there a way." No.

"Is there any way for the Security Name to be included automatically from the Account name?". No.

To have Quicken automatically populate the security name in investment transactions when you enter them, the investment account must be a "Single Mutual Fund" account. You can give an investment account that characteristic when creating the account - or after the account has been created [see the Edit Account Details dialog for the account - you must do this before you have multiple securities in the account. Backup before attempting this after the account has been created.]

Given the built-in restrictions on single mutual fund accounts, I personally would not recommend using a SMF account for so little benefit.

[FYI: A 401k account can not be a Single Mutual Fund account.]

[The only reason you think your SEP account name was used to populate the security name when entering transactions in the account, is because you gave the SEP account the same name as the single security that it holds.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Also note that if you have a lot of securities with similar names, in Q Win 2018 you can now type the ticker symbol in the drop-down box and it will search on that instead.

Thanks, Quicken!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

I can't speak for Q2018, but I can speak for earlier versions (and I suspect that the same holds true for Q2018): the designation of a Quicken account as an SEP IRA has nothing to do with whether the security name will be automatically populated when you enter transactions in the account.

"I have found no way to change the account from Traditional IRA to SEP IRA. Is there a way." No.

"Is there any way for the Security Name to be included automatically from the Account name?". No.

To have Quicken automatically populate the security name in investment transactions when you enter them, the investment account must be a "Single Mutual Fund" account. You can give an investment account that characteristic when creating the account - or after the account has been created [see the Edit Account Details dialog for the account - you must do this before you have multiple securities in the account. Backup before attempting this after the account has been created.]

Given the built-in restrictions on single mutual fund accounts, I personally would not recommend using a SMF account for so little benefit.

[FYI: A 401k account can not be a Single Mutual Fund account.]

[The only reason you think your SEP account name was used to populate the security name when entering transactions in the account, is because you gave the SEP account the same name as the single security that it holds.]

Thanks so much for the clarification.  Appreciate it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    OK, with the helpful input from C.D. Bales I realized that if I change one of my SEP IRA accounts to "Single Mutual Fund Account," lo' and behold it appears in the Security Name. :-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Woo hoo! Sorry I missed that! I don't have any of those. 
This discussion has been closed.