I have an unused investment account that I would like to close in Quicken Premier 2018.

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
 When I go to Edit Account Details/DisplayOptions/Close Account, I get a message that says  "This account has security balances, please clear the securities before you close the account."
The securities value of the account is 0, the attached cash account balance is 0.  The account has many transactions over a number of years, but I cannot pinpoint any specific transaction that would lead to a current balance. 

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Are there any placeholder transactions lurking in the account?
    If so, they need to be resolved (deleted and replaced with the proper Buy, Sell, etc. transaction that should have been there in the first place)

If you haven't done so already, reconcile the linked cash account.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    no placeholders, I have reconciled the linked cash account (balance is 0 )
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You
    should validate your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or
    if you ever had crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated
    crashes may eventually render a data file "broken beyond
    repair".

Please run this procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair.
    Click "Validate
    File" and "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect a damaged Price History, also click "Delete investing price history".
    Check to make sure the
    copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action
    again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, I will try that.  
    Closing this account is not a huge issue, just an irksome problem that I have been trying to get rid of for a bit.  I appreciate your help.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Alas, the validation of the data file did not work.  I guess I just need to live with this.  Thanks again for your help!
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    When you click the Holdings button does anything show up or is the screen completely blank?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Well, I think the validation of the data files thing worked after all cuz when I just logged on to check the holdings, I was able to close the account! (holdings were blank BTW.)
    Thanks to all!
This discussion has been closed.