I sell some mutual funds. It says the sale is added to my cash balance? Where the heck is that?

Barbara O'Keeffe
Barbara O'Keeffe Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Using Mac Version 2018 (5.4.4) Sell Mutual Funds, it says the sell is added to my cash balance.  So where is that?  I don't see it anywhere, so what has Quicken done with it.  I don't see anyway to have it automatically added to the checking account that it is going to.   Could easily do that in the 2007 version I had before.   Once again it seems like all of the good was done away with and only confusion and frustration is left.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Barbara,

If you don't see the cash balance column in the register, see this:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-faq-how-to-i-see-the-running-bal...

The cash balance will increase as the result of the Sell transaction. If you need to show that the cash has been moved to a checking account, you will need to enter a Payment/Deposit transaction to show the movement of cash to the checking account. Create a new transaction and click in the Type field to change it to Payment/Deposit. Enter the amount as a negative number, and enter the name of the checking account in the Transfer column. (If the Transfer column isn't showing, enable it in menu View > Columns.) 

After this transaction, the cash balance will be what it was before the Sell, and the checking account will have a corresponding transaction showing the income there.

QM18 is somewhat different than QM07, but it will be fine once you get used to it. You may even like it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Barbara O'Keeffe
    edited February 2018
    I have the balance column with no balances in it.  Mind you, this account was showing additions, etc., with running balance in Quicken 2007 without any problem.   Now there is no balance, even though the column is there.  It does show the re-invest of dividends, etc., buys and sells, but no balance.  Also while the #of shares and cost/share are shown in the description, the amount of reinvests shows as zero in the amount column.    All in all, I'm really, really, really disappointed in how it is managing investments.   I realize that the program was written to automatically download, but some of my investments don't allow that; and in truth I don't want automatically downloads - I want to put them in manually.
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

I have the balance column with no balances in it.  Mind you, this account was showing additions, etc., with running balance in Quicken 2007 without any problem.   Now there is no balance, even though the column is there.  It does show the re-invest of dividends, etc., buys and sells, but no balance.  Also while the #of shares and cost/share are shown in the description, the amount of reinvests shows as zero in the amount column.    All in all, I'm really, really, really disappointed in how it is managing investments.   I realize that the program was written to automatically download, but some of my investments don't allow that; and in truth I don't want automatically downloads - I want to put them in manually.

A reinvestment is a cash-neutral transaction. The income comes in and is used to purchase new shares all in the same transaction. Therefore, there is no change to the cash balance and the amount correctly shows as zero.

Now, if you are looking for the number of shares bought, not cash, then you need to turn on the Shares column in menu View > Columns. If you want to see the share balance, you need to turn on the Share Balance column, you can do that the same way.

I provided you a link above that will resolve the issue with the cash Balance column being blank. If you don't want to read and follow the instructions in that link, I can't really help you.
  • Barbara O'Keeffe
    edited January 2018

I did everything that the link and the video said to do and still NOTHING in the Balance Column.  The balance column is blank in all of the investment accounts (each one is separate).  I'm not trying to be difficult, just don't understand why there is a default column that has NOTHING in it.
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

I'm sorry Barbara. Let's try this. Please post a screenshot of the top few lines of your register. 

FAQ: Posting a Screenshot

Here's an example:

This discussion has been closed.