QWIN 2017 R15.13 - I've downloaded, but I can't find the tab for "review transactions"

Debtectomy
Debtectomy Member ✭✭
I'm running the latest update for Quicken for Windows 2017 and I can't seem to find the tab for reviewing and accepting transactions after having downloaded transactions from my bank and from Quicken Bill Pay.

Quicken Help says to "click the downloaded transactions tab."  I can't find any such tab, dropdown, button, or function anywhere in my Quicken For Windows 2017.

Where can I find this function?
I have no affiliation with US Debt Clock.  But my country is handcuffed by debt.  It weakens us and it breaks my heart to see my taxes used to fund dumb, unnecessary, or rights-denying policies.

Comments

• Debtectomy
    Debtectomy Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ahah, I think I found the problem.  There was an option setting to automatically accept downloaded entries into the register.  I've shut that off, and now I'm trying to find a way to force a review of all downloaded transactions that came in anytime during the last 2 weeks.

Edit:  I need to force a review AND the function that recognizes more than 1 entry of each transaction and eliminates the dup in favor of the one that I want (the one that uses my chosen category).
    I have no affiliation with US Debt Clock.  But my country is handcuffed by debt.  It weakens us and it breaks my heart to see my taxes used to fund dumb, unnecessary, or rights-denying policies.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Ahah, I think I found the problem.  There was an option setting to automatically accept downloaded entries into the register.  I've shut that off, and now I'm trying to find a way to force a review of all downloaded transactions that came in anytime during the last 2 weeks.

Edit:  I need to force a review AND the function that recognizes more than 1 entry of each transaction and eliminates the dup in favor of the one that I want (the one that uses my chosen category).

You could try using the Online Center and the Compare to Register. I think once you have accepted the downloaded transactions, though, there will not be any transactions to compare.

You should be able to find recently accepted transactions by displaying and then sorting on the Downloaded Posting Date column.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Debtectomy
    Debtectomy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

It looks like that won't work.  Well, I get these dialogs with poor, little, or no usage information.  It is starting to feel to me that I may need to manually delete the Quicken Bill Pay dups, especially if I've lost the possibility of matching them with the posted transactions from the bank. 

But maybe I need to rethink my process here.  So here's what happens:

1.  First off, I do all of my QBP payments directly from Quicken Bill Pay.  I never let Quicken issue payment orders to QBP because I think that would just confuse me more.

2.  Next, I do downloads from my bank (posted transactions) and from Quicken Bill Pay ("sent" transactions for dates yet in the future) into my check register in Quicken.

3.  In a later download from my bank (let's say when I do my download next week or the week after), those formerly "sent/future" QBP transactions will become duplicated with their incoming bank-posted counterparts.

What I want to do is "match" them as they clear my bank (I don't know if "matching" is the correct use of the term) and let the bank's version of the transaction stand in the check register because the bank transaction contains PPID and "Downloaded ID" information that I would like to retain in case I need it one day.

Am I grokking the basic process here, and can I do what I'm thinking I can do in the paragraph immediately above?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I don't have Quicken open at the moment, but I believe you can click on the pencil icon in the status column of the register to get a menu that enables you to match to a downloaded transaction.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Debtectomy
    Debtectomy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

My status column has no pencil icons.  It is blank for most transactions (or null), or it is one of these:
    • "New" (with a blue dot to the left)
    • "Sent" (with an envelope to the left)
  • Debtectomy
    Debtectomy Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I decided to just delete the obviously dup'd entries.  There were about 15-20 of them, making it annoying to go through that dialog prompt for each one, but they were easy to find. 

It sure seems that if you "Accept All" or let "Auto-Accept All" happen, then you've purposely given up for all time that particular opportunity to go through the match-and-rename exercise.

Now that I know I should not "Accept All" and my preferences have been set to NOT automatically accept downloaded transactions, I think future downloads should be a lot less confusing for me.

But at the same time, I cannot understand why those options even exist.  It sure does seem that they are a lot more trouble than they could ever be worth.
This discussion has been closed.