Schwab 529 Plan Qmac Set Up Fail

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
QMac 2018 doesn't find new Schwab 529 Plan account to download and set up in Quicken.  All my other Schwab accounts were found and downloaded in the past along with current updates to the accounts. I don't want to set up the 529  manually and enter transactions. I get through the set up process but when Qmac connects to Schwab it doesn't pull in the account information or account number for final set up in Qmac. Thank you for any assistance provided.
Bill

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    You might wish to reach out to Schwab to see if they support 529 plans within Quicken. (It is up to them as to what accounts, products, etc. they provide service for.)

If you are seeing all your other accounts but your 529, I suspect Quicken isn't supported for that account type.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Thank You John, yes all my other Schwab accounts are active Qmac/Schwab.  I'll give Schwab a call and see if they support the 529 with Quicken. Maybe not as I was just reviewing the new account at Schwab.com and noticed it is actually through a bank in KS via Schwab I suppose. So maybe the only way to include in Qmac / Schwab Accounts is manually entered, but the value oscillates with the market. Hmmmm,
    Thanks again for the heads up.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    bgoodz said:

Thank You John, yes all my other Schwab accounts are active Qmac/Schwab.  I'll give Schwab a call and see if they support the 529 with Quicken. Maybe not as I was just reviewing the new account at Schwab.com and noticed it is actually through a bank in KS via Schwab I suppose. So maybe the only way to include in Qmac / Schwab Accounts is manually entered, but the value oscillates with the market. Hmmmm,

It isn't all that unusual for things like 529s and HSA accounts not being supported compared to brokerage accounts, 401ks, etc. And, yes, sometimes third parties handle them.

I don't have children, so I haven't had to deal with a 529. But, from what I have seen of them, I don't think it would be all that difficult to enter/track manually. There really isn't anything you can't do manually that you can get from a download. Set up the securities and price histories (not hard) and enter the various transactions and it will represent market value.  
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    bgoodz said:

If the assets held within the 529 are publicly traded, you can still set up the securities to download quotes automatically making the Quicken value track the market changes, even if you have to enter transactions manually.

Another thought: if the account is actually managed by a 3rd party bank, you may be able to connect directly to that bank with Quicken. Schwab should be able to help you with that.

And alternatively, you may be able to download the transactions via a QFX file from Schwab to import manually, even if the 529 is not accessible via Direct Connect.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Good luck with whatever you try with this problem.  I was totally shut down by Quicken Community advisors when I questioned why I could not download transactions from my Transamerica 403b account.  If the company (Schwab) doesn't see any reason to support Quicken for Mac (even if they may support Quicken for Windows) downloads, you can't really get any support.  I also have a Schwab account, but not 529 plan.  I think my plan dose allow downloads to Quicken.  There is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to which plans are supported (or not), and you won't get anywhere complaining to Schwab unless you have multi-millions invested.  Enter your transactions manually (not really a good option, I agree), or try another software that may allow downloads.
This discussion has been closed.