Market Values Not Matching in Quicken Mac 2018

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I've noticed that the market value in the upper right corner of the screen does not match the market value located at the bottom of the security list.  This is even true for an account that only has one security.  I've also noted that the amount listed in the upper right corner is correct while the amount that is listed at the bottom of the security list is incorrect.  I've reported this issue numerous times using the reporting tool in the Quicken application.

Comments

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    When you say it "does not match the market value," is the difference just a few cents or is it off by more than that? If it's just a few cents, my guess is that it's due to the difference in the amount of significant digits downloaded from your financial institution (FI) to Quicken vs. what they are holding internally. In other words, the NAV in Quicken goes to just two decimal places and the number of shares to six, but your FI may keep more decimal places than that. Therefore, when the NAV is multiplied by number of shares in each case, you get off by a few cents.

If it's more than a few cents, I have no idea what could be going on.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, it's off by a few cents, but has nothing to do with decimal precision.  If you take the number of shares in Quicken and multiply by the NAV, it is not giving me the correct market value.  But the Market value listed in the upper right corner of the Quicken screen has the math done correctly.  My accounts are not linked to my brokerage, so it has nothing to do with the NAV reported by my brokerage v what's reported by Quicken.  It's the inconsistency of market value presentation as calculated by Quicken in two different fields.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Running 5.5.0 and the totals still do not match.  I bet that the program is rounding each individual lot to two decimal places and then summing them all up to give a market value while the market value in the upper right corner of the screen is performing a separate calculation based on the total number of shares owned times market price per share.  What it should be doing in the detailed section is calculating to many many decimal places and then for display only rounding to two decimal places (like Excel does) to show each lot, that would take care of cumulative rounding errors and make the two numbers match.

Once again, I have reported this issue via the in app tool
This discussion has been closed.