Column that calculates dollar amounts for shares purchased in Brokerage Accounts

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Quicken for Windows offered a column in Investment Accounts which calculated the dollar amounts for shares purchased.  I miss this in Quicken for Mac.  Please, programmers, can it be added as an optional column?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    In the account's transaction register, it's called the "Amount" column. It should be on by default, but if not, click menu View > Columns to turn it on. Alternatively, you can turn on the Cash In and Cash Out columns to display the positive and negative cash amounts in separate columns.

If you are talking about the Portfolio view, this would be the Cost Basis column, which is also on by default in QM18. To see the individual lots of a security in the Portfolio view, click the little triangle to the left of the security name.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Thanks, RickO, but I already have those three columns showing.  However, no amounts ever appear in them.  Is there something I don't understand?  Does this not work for the mutual funds in my IRA? For example, when I download a transaction for a Dividend/Reinvest, the Description column will show the number of shares and the price per share, but no column shows what this comes to when multiplied out.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Kelly4344 said:

Thanks, RickO, but I already have those three columns showing.  However, no amounts ever appear in them.  Is there something I don't understand?  Does this not work for the mutual funds in my IRA? For example, when I download a transaction for a Dividend/Reinvest, the Description column will show the number of shares and the price per share, but no column shows what this comes to when multiplied out.

Kelly, A dividend reinvestment transaction is a cash-neutral transaction. There is no net cash in or out of the account. The proceeds from the dividend are used to buy shares, all in one transaction. Therefore, you will not see an entry in the cash column(s) for these transactions.

If you want to see what the amount of the dividend was, then double click the transaction, and you will see it is shown in the details as below:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Kelly4344 said:

I believe this is correct since the net change between the two transactions is zero.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Kelly4344 said:

Just noticed that Rick gave you a more comprehensive reply. Hopefully you are good to go with what he showed you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Thank you, RickO and Concordman for getting back to me on my question.  --  I don't think I made my question very clear, however.  I was aware that the "total cost" "cost basis" was viewable when one opened the Details of the transaction.  What Quicken for Windows provided was that calculated number viewable as a column in the register.  I liked that and miss it in the Mac version.  I'm still hoping the programmers will provide it as an option in future updates.  But thank you both again for your prompt and professional responses!
This discussion has been closed.