Placeholder issues

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
The other day when I downloaded account activity for my IRA some transactions didn't download so Quicken asked me if I wanted to add a placeholder.  I said yes.  Today when I went to enter the transactions it wouldn't let me select an account where the proceeds would go and entered N/A on the cash amount.  Since it said it did it because of the placeholder I tried to delete the placeholder.  At first I couldn't find it.  It is not in the transaction list.  Finally I found it in the Security Detail View.  But It doesn't allow editing it so I am stuck without being able to enter the actual transaction.  How can I fix this?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

About Placeholders

"N/A" in
    certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have
    Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be resolved.

For more about
    Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from anywhere in
    Quicken) and perform a Contents search for "placeholder".

Alternatively or in
    addition to the above, read the first few articles found here: https://www.quicken.com/search/site/placeholder

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    UKR said:

About Placeholders

"N/A" in
    certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have
    Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be resolved.

For more about
    Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from anywhere in
    Quicken) and perform a Contents search for "placeholder".

Alternatively or in
    addition to the above, read the first few articles found here: https://www.quicken.com/search/site/placeholder

I found a solution to some of these placeholder problems.  Go to "Edit", then "Preferences", then Investment Transactions.  Make sure the box next to "Show Hidden Transactions" is checked.  Some, but not all of your placeholder transactions will show up in your account register and you can delete them.

If this doesn't work, the solution gets really ugly.  Hopefully you back up your Quicken file regularly with the "date" function.  If not ypu are completely screwed.  If you have a backup from before the placeholder problem occurred, you can restore that file, but you have to reconstruct all of your transactions on all of your Quicken accounts..  I said it was ugly, but this is how I finally resolved the problem.
     Lesson here is to create regular back-ups,
This discussion has been closed.