Missing Home & Business caergories. And, are they worth looking for?

Options
Billley
Billley Member ✭✭

Home, Business & Rental 2018 has a bunch of business and
rent property categories that aren't in Quicken Basic. "Parts & Service,"
"Tolls" etc. I thought when my Basic Quicken 2013 files were
converted to Home & Business 2018 the new categories would show up. They
don't. If I create a new, empty data file I can see them. But they do not appear
in my old, actual data files. (This is with both "ALL Categories" and
"Show Hidden Categories" selected.)  

Before I grind on this too much, are these new categories even worth having?
When I upgraded I thought Quicken had linked their new categories to the appropriate
IRS line items. But if I reclassify my "Rent House Repairs" category
to Quicken's new "Repairs (Rental)" category, no line item appears
with it in the category list.  If I have
to figure out which line item "Tolls" goes with, Home & Business
is no better than Basic. I can do the same line item look up and link it to my
existing with my "Rent House Repairs" category in Basic.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Go into the Category List.
    Click the Options button and select Manage Categories.
    In the popup window, top left, select "Business" instead of "Standard".
    Mark and select the categories you wish to enter to your Category List.

Manually add any other categories that you may need and assign the correct Schedule C line item..

P.S.: When working with the Category List always make sure that "Show hidden categories" is checkmarked.

• Billley
    Billley Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    UKR-

I see that now. Thanks.

Two more answers, please.

1) I see how to assign custom category Groups. But how do I change an existing category from the one Group to another?

2) It appears there is no automatic or linkage between the predefined Quicken rental categories and IRS line items. These have to be linked manually. That is, I have to determine for myself which line item goes with that Quicken predefined category. Since Quicken is creating these categories, it seems they should have included that automatic linkage.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Billley said:

UKR-

I see that now. Thanks.

Two more answers, please.

1) I see how to assign custom category Groups. But how do I change an existing category from the one Group to another?

2) It appears there is no automatic or linkage between the predefined Quicken rental categories and IRS line items. These have to be linked manually. That is, I have to determine for myself which line item goes with that Quicken predefined category. Since Quicken is creating these categories, it seems they should have included that automatic linkage.

To 1: I would stay away from custom category groups and only use the ones that come with Quicken. And do not mix income and expense categories within the same group. That tends to get Quicken all confused.

To 2: I just added "Rents Received" to my list of Categories using the Manage Categories function. The new Category had the proper tax line item right out of the box..
    Existing categories, carried forward in your data file from prior Quicken versions, are never updated to include missing information. To do that is up to you, if you need it.

• Billley
    Billley Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've fiddled with it enough to figger that out, and that the "Extended Categories" radio button in the new category dialog box opens a whole new world. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.