Understanding investment funds in 2018 vs 2007 on Mac (pt. 2)

In a recent discussion, I learned that the proper way to buy or sell content in a mutual fund where the cash transfers elsewhere, is to do the buy or sale in the fund register, moving value from the the Shares to Cash value in the register, and then do a separate transaction of a Payment/Deposit with a description of Transfer:[targetaccount]. 

Unfortunately, trying to do exactly that to transfer cash value between accounts, I'm finding that a Payment/Deposit transaction I create immediately transforms into either a buy or sell in the account. 

Note the Sell below, which came in from Quicken 2007. In the Quicken 2007 account, the $1000 transferred to [IRA--TRP Gov Money Roth Swp] account. So, I want to move the money the same way.
When I click on the Sell transaction, before starting the transfer, we can see some odd stuff from the conversion from 2007. The sell resulted in $1000, then there is a magic sell of no shares that provide another $1000, a Sell that doesn't do anything, and an adjustment to undo the magic $1000. Hmm. Well, guess it works...image
So, I create the transfer transaction:
...but once I click Save, I see what I typed flash into a different format, and then when everything settles down:
I have a second Sell transaction that never happened, producing another magical $1000, but this $1000 doesn't change my Cash Balance. Just the Share Balance. And no transfer happened.

What's going on?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018
    Bryan,

Check the account settings of the destination account (menu Account > Settings) for a checkbox indicating that it is "Single Mutual Fund". If it is, you can uncheck the box, accept the warnings, and that should solve this issue. 

For explanation of Single Mutual Fund accounts, see the final post in this thread:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-401k-account-created-as-single-mutual-fund-b...
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    That does look like the issues. But there is no check box in the settings. I'd already compared the stuck account with a working one. I had opened some new mutuals that weren't in Quicken 2007, so I made them fresh. They work as you described in the previous discussion.

These really are single mutual funds, so if everything worked in a consistent way, that would be fine. It's actually the behavior I am used to. Each mutual fund has its own account, with only the single security (the mutual fund) being bought and sold. They are essentially the same as an account in a foreign currency. There is some price that changes in relation to the dollar. But I still need to be able to move dollars in and out, and to transfer dollars between mutual funds. And the sweep fund actually has the value of $1/share.  

There are clearly a bunch of hidden fields that a user can't directly access. I don't suppose there's some way to hack an XML file or something to see behind the curtain?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018
    Bryan said:

That does look like the issues. But there is no check box in the settings. I'd already compared the stuck account with a working one. I had opened some new mutuals that weren't in Quicken 2007, so I made them fresh. They work as you described in the previous discussion.

These really are single mutual funds, so if everything worked in a consistent way, that would be fine. It's actually the behavior I am used to. Each mutual fund has its own account, with only the single security (the mutual fund) being bought and sold. They are essentially the same as an account in a foreign currency. There is some price that changes in relation to the dollar. But I still need to be able to move dollars in and out, and to transfer dollars between mutual funds. And the sweep fund actually has the value of $1/share.  

There are clearly a bunch of hidden fields that a user can't directly access. I don't suppose there's some way to hack an XML file or something to see behind the curtain?

If the account is behaving like a SMF account, but there is no checkbox for it in the settings, then I would call that a bug and contact Quicken Support for help.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.