Sell transaction in investment account fails.

Options
David Dandurand
David Dandurand Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken's "Security Detail View" says I own 1600 shares of a stock. When I try to enter a sell transaction in my invesetment account ,Quicken says I have only 1599 shares. Why? I cannot complete the sale transaction. I have Quicken Premier 2018, Version R7.5, Build 27.1.7.5

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Are there any Placeholder transactions in the account?

About Placeholders (Quicken Windows)

"N/A" in
    certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have
    Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be deleted and replaced
    with the correct Buy / Sell / etc. transaction that should have been recorded
    here..

For more about Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from
    anywhere in Quicken) and perform a Contents search for
    "placeholder".

Alternatively or in addition to the above, read the first few articles found
    here: https://www.quicken.com/search/site/placeholder

Also please do this:

Validate

You should validate
    your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate
    File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the
    copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action
    again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

• David Dandurand
    David Dandurand Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I could not find any information about a placeholder transaction in my account for my stock. After reading about placeholder transactions, i did have an idea. My stock had split three times since I bought it 12 years ago. All the other transactions for that stock were dividends. I went back and opened each split transaction, deleted the numbers and reentered them, and clicked done. That corrected the problem, I now was able to complete the sale transaction.    
This discussion has been closed.