Mortgage details gone!

Hi there, I switched from my PC Quicken 2013 to mac 5.5.7 (latest update) less then a year ago. I've had many mortgage loans and refinances since 1992 in my old version. I was looking over all my past loans yesterday and noticed that all of my old loans (which are dozens) do not have any details or information about the loans. Zero!. The interest rates, payment terms, loan details are not showing. The only thing showing  in there are the transactions. I had to pull out my old PC and boot up the old version just to get the information on my past loans. Is there any way to get this back after updating to mac from my PC? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Paul Treppedi

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello Paul,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your question.

When the accounts were brought into the Mac data file, they may have been imported as liability accounts, which only show the transactions.  To view or add the loan details, the account would need to be converted to a loan type.

To check the account type, please go to the register of one of the accounts and select Settings from the lower right corner, in the window that opens, what type is listed?  If Liability is showing, then click the Convert to Loan button to add the loan information.

If you would like more information on managing loans in Quicken for Mac, I recommend reviewing https://www.quicken.com/support/using-loan-management-quicken-mac-2017.

I hope this information helps but please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much for your reply. I did what you suggested and I'm a little disappointed with Quicken. For starters let me back up regarding Quicken for PC. When I entered a loan in Quicken for PC weather it be a car loan, mortgage, HELOC etc Quicken called it a "Liability". It never stated anything else, so every single loan I put in there went in as a liability with the details of the loan.  Over the years I upgraded to the newest version of Quicken (being a Quicken user since 1995) and stopped at 2013 before I switched to Quicken for Mac.   So I clicked settings and sure enough it said it was a Liability. On the right side I clicked "Convert to Loan"  and a screen came up saying "This feature is not available on your starter plan. To add a loan account your membership needs to be upgraded to a new plan" They are suggesting Quicken Deluxe. So I pulled out the box (program) and read the features. According to the features it does not state anything about not importing loan details. How could this be? This is a simple account that I would think many, many basic users use. Credit card, Mortgage loans, car payments etc . are basic features of any financial program and the old program called it a Liability. I didn't upgrade to Deluxe because I don't need those particular features it offers and again it never stated on the box that it would not import my backup from PC to Mac without a simple conversion of my mortgage details. If I knew this I would have stuck to the old 2013 version because it basically covered everything I needed. I literally have dozens of past mortgages and car payments that now have no details at all. I don't even know what the interest rates were from past loans etc.
    Is there anyway for Quicken to put this in an upgrade? If not I'll probably ask how to convert my Mac program back to the PC. The problem is I've entered thousands of transactions since I upgraded to this could be a living nightmare to go back.
    Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sarah,
    Paul
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited April 2018

Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much for your reply. I did what you suggested and I'm a little disappointed with Quicken. For starters let me back up regarding Quicken for PC. When I entered a loan in Quicken for PC weather it be a car loan, mortgage, HELOC etc Quicken called it a "Liability". It never stated anything else, so every single loan I put in there went in as a liability with the details of the loan.  Over the years I upgraded to the newest version of Quicken (being a Quicken user since 1995) and stopped at 2013 before I switched to Quicken for Mac.   So I clicked settings and sure enough it said it was a Liability. On the right side I clicked "Convert to Loan"  and a screen came up saying "This feature is not available on your starter plan. To add a loan account your membership needs to be upgraded to a new plan" They are suggesting Quicken Deluxe. So I pulled out the box (program) and read the features. According to the features it does not state anything about not importing loan details. How could this be? This is a simple account that I would think many, many basic users use. Credit card, Mortgage loans, car payments etc . are basic features of any financial program and the old program called it a Liability. I didn't upgrade to Deluxe because I don't need those particular features it offers and again it never stated on the box that it would not import my backup from PC to Mac without a simple conversion of my mortgage details. If I knew this I would have stuck to the old 2013 version because it basically covered everything I needed. I literally have dozens of past mortgages and car payments that now have no details at all. I don't even know what the interest rates were from past loans etc.
    Is there anyway for Quicken to put this in an upgrade? If not I'll probably ask how to convert my Mac program back to the PC. The problem is I've entered thousands of transactions since I upgraded to this could be a living nightmare to go back.

Thanks Sarah,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for that additional information and I apologize, I didn't see that you were using the Quicken for Mac Starter Edition, which, unfortunately, does change the prior information and steps I provided. 

The Quicken Starter editions (Windows or Mac) do not support Loan accounts, only banking accounts such as checking, savings, credit card.  To be able to track the loan details in Quicken for Mac, an upgrade to the Deluxe version or higher would be necessary.  

I also tested in my version of Quicken for Mac (starter edition) and imported a .QXF transfer file from my Quicken for Windows Home, Business & Rental version and see that loan accounts that are imported through this format are created as liability accounts, which, shouldn't be happening since those account types are not supported.

I will be reporting this behavior to the Development teams for further review but in the meantime, if you would like to upgrade to the Deluxe version or request a refund, I advise contacting Quicken Support for the best assistance.  

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

Hi Sarah,

Thanks Sarah,
    Paul

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the info. As I said in my previous reply, the box that I have with the program does not say anything about not supporting loan details so that's the reason I have the starter program. I didn't need the other features Deluxe came with. So if I upgrade to Deluxe will it automatically update my loan details? There are dozens of accounts in there so I want to make sure transferring the QXF  files work. Should I wait for the development team to correct the problem? It would be way too much effort to correct this problem manually and it's an inconvenience to pull out my old PC to boot up the old program just to get this information.

Let me know and thanks so much,
    Paul
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited April 2018

Hi Sarah,

Thanks Sarah,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

You are welcome and I apologize that the box did not specify that Loan accounts are not supported in the Starter editions. 

If you upgraded to Deluxe, the steps I provided originally about converting the liability account to a loan account would be present and allow you to track the loan details.  If upgrading, I would also recommend creating a new data file in the Deluxe version and re-importing the .QXF transfer file again.

Unfortunately, the issue I am reporting to Development is the creation of liability accounts with the .QXF import since that account type is not supported in the Starter Editions.   If you decided to stay with Starter you would not be able to track the loans at all.

I'll also be sending you an email shortly through our internal support system with a little more information, please keep an eye out for it and let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.