How do I get unpaid rent report

Options
I have tenants that have not paid the rent. How do I get a report listing those tenants and the total unpaid rent amount. 

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi John,

Welcome to the Community!  We appreciate you taking the time to share your question but apologize that you have not received a response yet.

If you haven't yet, I would recommend reviewing https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-use-rent-center-track-rent-payments.  If the information found in the article does not suit your needs please let us know.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I don't think you understand my question. I know how to enter tenants and how to record payments from them. I can even get a rent paid list. What I don't get is a list of tenants who has not paid yet and the total unpaid amount. Just like an account receivable report.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Sarah,

I don't think you understand my question. I know how to enter tenants and how to record payments from them. I can even get a rent paid list. What I don't get is a list of tenants who has not paid yet and the total unpaid amount. Just like an account receivable report.

Record all rent owed on the 1st of the month as going to an "Accounts Receivable" account from the rental accounts.  Make sure that the tenant name, or some form of proper identifier, is in the payee  field.
    Then, when you actually receive the payment, and deposit it into the bank, show that deposit as coming FROM that A/R account.
    On the day after any grace period for rent, go thru the A/R account and mark the "pairs" of transactions as "Reconciled".

Any unreconciled transactions in that A/R account are unpaid ... and you can run a simple  Account Register report, filtering out all transactions that are Reconciled.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    That is too complicated. Actually I can see the Tenants that has not paid, under "Bill and Income Reminders". All I have to do is sort the list by date. All Tenants that owes me money are listed on the top in RED. If I can get a printout of that with the total, my issue is solved. Right now I have to add up those manually.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

That is too complicated. Actually I can see the Tenants that has not paid, under "Bill and Income Reminders". All I have to do is sort the list by date. All Tenants that owes me money are listed on the top in RED. If I can get a printout of that with the total, my issue is solved. Right now I have to add up those manually.

If that is the direction you want to go, Tools / Manage Bill ... Reminders (Ctrl-J) will pop up a dedicated window with a print option atop.  Using the print option, you can also choose the Export option to get the data into a spreadsheet or similar.  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Sarah,

From C. D. Bales:

You have not provided your Quicken version-year and release.

However, to my knowledge, no version of Quicken has an "unpaid rent report", per se.

"What I don't get is a list of tenants who has not paid yet and the total unpaid amount.

The Rent Center displays all properties and tenants, and clearly indicates which tenants have paid for the rent-period in question and which have not.

Sadly, while you can print that screen, the resulting report loses some of the important subtleties present on the screen. So, for example, when unpaid rent is displayed in the period column very faintly (distinguishing it from paid rent amounts); that distinction is lost in the report, making the unpaid rent look just like paid rent. Also the tiny indicator icons are lost in the report; one of which indicates overdue rent.

To deal with the amount of unpaid rent: I think you could create a budget for the rent income and display a Budget report for the categories in that rent-income budget - allowing the budget report to do the unpaid rent math for you.

"Just like an account receivable report."

You should be able to get an Accounts Receivable report for your tenants, if you create invoices for their rent payments, and apply their payments to their invoices. You need not actually send the invoices. You can use Reminders for the invoices as well as the payments.

Here's a link to a list of Community discussions in which user hogeye participated: hogeye is very knowledgeable about using Quicken for rental properties - perhaps there is something useful in some of his discussions:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I finally found the report I was looking for. It is hidden in "Rental Property"/"Profit/Loss". Under "Total Income" there are 2 sections. "Upcoming Income" is the report I was looking for. Unfortunately, I can only view it, not able to print.
This discussion has been closed.