Rental Property Cash Flow Report - Incorrect and options missing

Multiple Issues with Rental Property Cash Flow Report - Quicken 2018 R8.10 Build 27.1.8.10
- Rental Property Expenses category missing from report.   "Last Year" shows all categories.  Switching to Year To Date and expenses show, but at least one category is missing.   Running Cash Flow report from Banking with Rental categories selected shows the missing transaction
- "Update To Show" and "Edit" option only showing if you drill down into the category amount.  This is useless because you only need to expand the plus sign here.This is the same in the overall Cash Flow report.   
-- With Customization, you used to be able to select which transfers to include.  Now, it's just Include All, Exclude All and Exclude Internal.  Again, this renders the report useless because I can't include the principal of my payment since it's a Transfer.  Most other transfers should not be included in the report and make the overall numbers incorrect.  

I wrote a post a while back stating support for Quicken and asking management to step up and take some heat off the support staff (but deleted before posting). I can only imagine how overwhelmed they are.  I remember vividly in college working on a program and I could NOT get it to work.   The assignment was overdue and I was totally overwhelmed.  A classmate reminded me that the professor always said "The trash can is your friend."   I started over and 2 hours later, I had a working program and the professor didn't dock me for being late!  I had been tweaking for over a week!   I see a lot of the same here with 2018.  Every release removes features and breaks features many of us have been using with no problems for years.   i'm not one to just complain and not offer solutions, so i'd be willing to beta or whatever, but it's past time to consider something like this.  We're beyond quirks.   Data missing/corrupted; transactions showing on the wrong "side" (even when you've copied the same transaction and entered it!).   I don't want to find another product and I certainly don't want to lose data that goes back into the 90's!  Just my two cents!  (of course I can't tell you if I can afford this since my report aren't right.... LOL)

I've also written a post about Budget Reports.  This was ignored...  

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

I'm not seeing any of your new issues with Q2018 Rental Property (I compared to Q2014 and Q2012).

Regarding the Rental Property Cash Flow report: As with all other Rental Property reports, it only reports on "rental property transactions". A rental property transaction is one that has a Schedule E tax line item assigned; or has no tax line item assigned, but has a Property Tag assigned.

However, the Rental Property Cash Flow report defaults to only using transactions that have a Rental Property tag assigned - been that way since at least Q2012. Given the significance of the Property Tag to Rental Property reports, perhaps this default is not accidental. You can easily see whether this is involved in your issue: when you first bring up a Rental Property > Cash Flow report, check the Tag tab in the Customize dialog to see which tags are selected for the report.

"Update to Show" and "Edit" are not available in any Cash Flow reports and never have been. Those buttons are also not available in many other reports (Banking Summary and Net Worth to name just a couple). Those reports to not intend to present individual transactions in the report itself - only in the detail report you get when you drill down.

I find no evidence that there has been any change in report customizations capability to include/exclude transfers. The choices and purposes of the "Transfers:" dropdown on the Customize Advanced tab have not changed in many years: they still do what they have always done (ignoring the change in the definition of "Internal" transfers that occurred over a decade ago).

Selecting specific transfers has not changed either: that is done by selecting the TO and/or FROM account category on the Customize > Categories tab. You need to "Include All" on the Customize Advanced tab for the individual account-category selections on the Customize Categories tab to work - which has always been true.

For the Rental Property Cash Flow report transfer issue, I suggest you assign a Property Tag to the loan principal transfer (see above).

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ukarnaj
    ukarnaj Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the recommendation on the transfer!  I'm able to do this in other reports so maybe i just never tried it in this report.  i've been using Quicken for over 20 years but only the Rental stuff for the last 5.  My positive comment is that i do love this section of the program!

Tags aren't the problem - i am only using Rental Property categories and after switching from Last Year to Year to Date, the category disappears (as you would expect it to do if there were no transactions!).  i go into Settings for the report and the missing category is selected.  Probably a key piece of information is that I have 1 Rental Property and my tenant takes care of stuff and doesn't call for much, so I have one Repair transaction this year.   So when it's missing....   In the past, i was able to use the Schedule E report to see if i had to pay estimated tax and I was also able to get the loan payments included.  i think i still have my old laptop, so i'll take a look and see if i can see how i did it before.  i'm not at home now to check the tag again but since I ALWAYS seem to forget the tag, i'm pretty sure i already checked that.   i add in the loan payments because in my financial situation, it's a decision supporter in whether to sell :-)    I'm much more concerned with the problems I'm having in the other areas of Quicken. i'm here for the long haul as i have no desire to switch to something else after all these years!  :-)    Thanks for sharing this and thanks for responding!!!
  • ukarnaj
    ukarnaj Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    mshiggins - Any thoughts on this?   Here's where the problem is (and what I've used on other reports and then stated it wrong here) - The TO and FROM options are not there in the category list (as they are in my Budget).  This is an issue because the Principal Transaction shows as a debit AND credit and zeroes itself out.  I believe you that it may not have been there in the past, but I've always used the Schedule E exported to Excel and then added the Principal Payments in manually.   Perhaps it's a feature request?   I have a home equity and mortgage loan on the property and that's part of cash flow, but not relevant to Schedule E.  I fixed the missing categories problem - I HAD neglected to add the tag to that transaction!  I swore I checked it (having done technical support in the past, this was a stupid move!!!).  Anywho - thoughts on the Transfer situation?  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    ukarnaj said:

mshiggins - Any thoughts on this?   Here's where the problem is (and what I've used on other reports and then stated it wrong here) - The TO and FROM options are not there in the category list (as they are in my Budget).  This is an issue because the Principal Transaction shows as a debit AND credit and zeroes itself out.  I believe you that it may not have been there in the past, but I've always used the Schedule E exported to Excel and then added the Principal Payments in manually.   Perhaps it's a feature request?   I have a home equity and mortgage loan on the property and that's part of cash flow, but not relevant to Schedule E.  I fixed the missing categories problem - I HAD neglected to add the tag to that transaction!  I swore I checked it (having done technical support in the past, this was a stupid move!!!).  Anywho - thoughts on the Transfer situation?  

From C. D. Bales:

"The TO and FROM options are not there in the category list (as they are in my Budget)."

The transfer choices are not, and never have been, shown with the text "TO" or a "FROM" in regular Quicken report Customize dialogs (or in the Category List) (*): what is shown in Customize > Categories (following all the regular categories) is just the name of every account you have in that Quicken file (grouped by Type ... displayed in blue). Those "account-categories" (my terminology) are what you use to select/deselect specific transfers.

When you deselect an "account-category" in the report Customize dialog, you will be telling Quicken to exclude all transactions that have that "account-category" in square brackets in their Category field.

Works the same in Q2018 as it did in earlier Quicken versions.

[ (*) Some, but not all, Quicken reports will display transfers with the "TO" or "FROM" text preceding the account name. But that text does not appear on the Customize > Categories tab for any report.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ukarnaj
    ukarnaj Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    ukarnaj said:

So it sounds like I am just using the wrong report and maybe try to set something else up.  Thanks for all the help!!
This discussion has been closed.