How to place a tag in invoice transaction (H&B 2017)?

I would like to run a report based on tagged transactions in
H&B 2017. For instance, if I'm offering a workshop on cat herding,
I'd like to tag all income and expense transactions with "herding" so I
can run a report based on that tag and get an overview of my profit/loss
for that workshop.

But if three of the
registrants did not pay in advance and I set up invoices for them; then I
apply their payments to the invoices, there doesn't seem to be any way
to tag either the invoice or the payment--and when I then run a p/l
report on "herding" I'm now missing three payments.

Is there a solution or work-around?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    At the top right on the invoice template is a Tag field, that's where I put my tag and then I can run a tag report which shows me everything, both paid and unpaid invoices and straight deposits without an invoice. However, I have Q2018H+B so maybe that field doesn't exist in 2017, I'm not sure.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks, U S. The field is there, but it only seems to accept the company tag. So if I had more than one company it would be usable to run reports on separate companies. But when I tried to use it within the single company, it didn't seem to accept a transaction-level tag. I'll take another look at it and see if I can make it work.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Under Business->Manage Business Information menu, you can add additional tags to associate with the business, in addition to the default Company one, so that might work as an option too. HTH
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

If you want to use non-business tags in invoices, and/or different tags for different invoice line items, you can do so.

You can either assign the desired tag to the invoice item at Business > Invoices and estimates > View all invoice items (meaning when you use that item in an invoice, it will have the assigned tag by default); or you can add or modify a tag in an invoice item right in the invoice itself. In both situations, you just key a forward slash after the Category name, followed by the name of the desired Tag.

If you want to assign tags to individual invoice line items, you should not assign a Business Tag to the invoice itself; just leave the invoice "Business Tag" field blank.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Awesome! The "category/tag" within the invoice worked like a charm.
This discussion has been closed.