Emailing Invoice Not Sending (Again)

I previously posted about this problem.
https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/emailing-invoice-not-sending

Emailed invoices appear to send but never arrive at their destination. At the time I closed the thread, the problem was solved by changing the "from" email address to a different account that supports POP, relay, or whatever function is required by the Quicken mail service.

The problem has reappeared, but now it does not matter which email account I use, the invoice goes nowhere. Windows 10 v.1709 build 16299.371  Quicken HBRP 2018 R. 8.10 Build 27.1.8.10. 

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    I’m in the same boat. Except I have the added “pleasure” of having Quicken HBR2018 crash when I click send. I’ve spent approximately 9-10 hours on the phone with 3 different IT guys at Premier support. We’ve uninstalled. Reinstalled. Used old copies. New copies . Still crashing when emailing. Recently emailed a sanitized copy to Sangeetha and am hoping she has some answers soon b/c another billing cycle is coming up and if this isn’t resolved I may be forced to switch to another program. I’m currently in a holding pattern waiting for the next “update”
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You can always print invoices to PDF files and then email them.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks! I’ll give that a try if they can’t get a fix in time for my next round of invoices.

With the number of clients I handle, I’d prefer the program work as it was intended .
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

That's a workaround and is what I'm having to do now. It's not an acceptable long-term solution. I PAY for Quicken in order to get this kind of integrated functionality. Without it, there is free software....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

I’m in the same boat. Except I have the added “pleasure” of having Quicken HBR2018 crash when I click send. I’ve spent approximately 9-10 hours on the phone with 3 different IT guys at Premier support. We’ve uninstalled. Reinstalled. Used old copies. New copies . Still crashing when emailing. Recently emailed a sanitized copy to Sangeetha and am hoping she has some answers soon b/c another billing cycle is coming up and if this isn’t resolved I may be forced to switch to another program. I’m currently in a holding pattern waiting for the next “update”

At least yours crashes so you know there's a problem. It can be weeks before I realize that the client never received the invoice.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    I just found out the same scenario! Its been over a month and I thought my clients were receiving my invoices.  Only until past couple weeks did I notice when sending it now crashes out quicken property rental version, and that I have not been getting paid.  The pdf attachment is cumbersome but a work around.  They could just make it simple with a extra button PDF to Email, this way quicken would quickly attach to the default mail clients new mail.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    So I have a interesting desktop configuration and that has lead me to solve at least for me the "email an invoice crashing 2018 Rental Property" error.  I run quicken in a virtual machine on a Mac Mini.  The virtual machine uses the default email program from Mac OS.  I have it default to Apple Mail.  This process integrates perfectly with Windows MS Office and allows me to email from any of the Office apps, so one would assume that any Windows based app would work.  WRONG!  
    To solve the Quicken issue, I changed the MAC OS default email program to Windows MS Outlook 2016 and it now Quicken emails invoices perfectly as embedded HTML.  
    So I suggest everyone review the email application that the OS defaults to.  It may not be the email software you routinely use nor be compatible with Quicken.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited June 2018
    What version of Quicken are you using? Quicken 2018 doesn't use an external email client.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

What version of Quicken are you using? Quicken 2018 doesn't use an external email client.

Quicken - Home, Business & Rental Property
    R9.33

I just verified that the issue is with the mail client as I set up MS Outlook 2016 for Mac as the default and had no issues emailing even though the email app was outside the VM.  
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited June 2018
    That makes no sense to me what so ever. What VM software are you using?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

True! It’s a major headache but at least I know what’s going on. Have you had any success with Quicken support? I have 11 days until my next billing cycle and am praying IT gets this resolved by then.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

Agreed. I don’t mind finding a temporary fix while Quicken comes up with a solution but I’m going on week 3 without a patch. I may be forced to go through the hassle of switching to another company. *sigh*
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

So I have a interesting desktop configuration and that has lead me to solve at least for me the "email an invoice crashing 2018 Rental Property" error.  I run quicken in a virtual machine on a Mac Mini.  The virtual machine uses the default email program from Mac OS.  I have it default to Apple Mail.  This process integrates perfectly with Windows MS Office and allows me to email from any of the Office apps, so one would assume that any Windows based app would work.  WRONG!  
    To solve the Quicken issue, I changed the MAC OS default email program to Windows MS Outlook 2016 and it now Quicken emails invoices perfectly as embedded HTML.  
    So I suggest everyone review the email application that the OS defaults to.  It may not be the email software you routinely use nor be compatible with Quicken.

Thanks for the tip. Gonna check that out
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited June 2018

Are you running Quicken 2018 for Windows on a Mac in a Virtual Machine?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

Yes.  I use Parallels Desktop 13 VM and Windows 7 as the OS.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Greg, Quicken has to use an external client because you don't set up any email account details that would be necessary if Quicken had a built in client.  Quicken does get your default email address from your Quicken.com account.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited June 2018
    I don't believe that's true with 2018. I believe Quicken built SMTP into the new version. Maybe Sangeetha can verify that. Also, I find it hard to believe that the Windows VM can use the Mac Mail program. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Parallels is the leader in VM software and has nearly seamless integration between Mac OS and Windows 7 (in my case).  I can open Mac apps within windows and windows apps within Mac OS, share data between the two, cut/paste (ie shared clipboard), you name it.

In regards to built in SMTP, the user would still have to tell quicken which POP or IMAP service you use, the ports, the attributes, your account, and password to actually work.  
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited June 2018
    Sorry, but you're wrong. I just setup a new installation of Windows 7 Pro with no email client, installed/updated Quicken 2018 HBR and was able to email an invoice with no problem. Only thing I had to do was manually install the Mondo patch to stop Quicken from crashing when I tried to email the invoice.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited June 2018

@Rene Hamilton, try these following steps:

1. Use QcleanUI (https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken) to remove Quicken. Don't uninstall first, just check Clean All and let QcleanUI remove Quicken.

2. Remove the Quicken PDF Printer device from Printers & Scanners.

3. Download Quicken 2018 HBR and the latest Mondo patch from quicken.com.

4. Install Quicken and open your data file. Don't try emailing an invoice yet.

5. Install the Mondo patch. You might have to create a new administrative user to get it to install.

6. Run Quicken and try emailing an invoice.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

I really appreciate the step by step. THANK YOU!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Greg is correct, 2018 HBR does not use your default mail client (if you use one). It somehow uses the email address you registered (or the one you entered instead) and relays it (probably not the correct term) through that email service. That's why it failed when I used my free Yahoo account (which does not support POP, etc.) but succeeded when I used my Frontier.com email address, which is partnered with Yahoo but supports POP, etc. Why it has now failed on all addresses remains unresolved.

Edit: I just tested again. Now it's working. Solved again, for the moment.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    I just decoded an email that I sent to one of my email addresses from an open HBR invoice form.  From the actual code of the email message, I can see that HBR uses the quicken.com email server to send the email.  Your email server (FROM email) never sees the email (that's why it's not in the sent mail).  The Quicken server replaces it's "from address" with the one you have on the HBR email form.  HBR populates the form with your email address on file with your quickenID, but you can manually change it to anything.

I cannot explain why I can cause the "crash" in question on demand and can successfully send emails on demand just by changing my default email client.  I agree with Greg that HBR doesn't seem to need a client, but can't explain my situation.  Reading some older windows os posts, there are email client like components installed by microsoft at the lowest levels and that might have some thing to do with HBR packaging the info before submitting to the mothership for processing (ie sending the email).

Phineas J: You used the phase "relay" through your existing mail service.  Only an email server setup as "open relay" can you do this.  Open relays are created for spam emailers.  All popular email services (google, outlook.com, yahoo, AT&T.net, Cox.net, etc)  do not support open relay and require authentication (username/password/ports/protocol) before accepting commands to upload/send or receive/download.

It would be nice if an HBR developer would clarify this issue and provide a resolution for all users.  Good luck and I hope you continue to have success emailing.
This discussion has been closed.