portfolio view computes share balance incorrectly

dhwagner
dhwagner Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Mac)
The portfolio view shows that I have 0.961 shares of a security that I no longer own. The list of (73) transactions for this security correctly sums to 0 shares.
Quicken Deluxe 2018 for Mac, v. 5.6.3.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    You have fractional shares of the security, and Quicken didn't round up the shares to show that.

I would try to just put in a REMOVE SHARES transaction of 0.961 shares of that security for the last transaction date you have for that security.  

What does the portfolio view show now?

Please let us know the result.  If the portfolio view now shows -0.961 shares or Quicken tells you that you don't have enough shares, that's not the answer then.  
  • dhwagner
    dhwagner Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    George,
    I did as you suggested. The Portfolio view still shows 0.961 shares, and the  list of transactions for this security now totals to 1.514 shares, where it used to total to 0 shares. The total of 1.514 is apparently the result of subtraction 0.961 from 0.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    dhwagner said:

George,
    I did as you suggested. The Portfolio view still shows 0.961 shares, and the  list of transactions for this security now totals to 1.514 shares, where it used to total to 0 shares. The total of 1.514 is apparently the result of subtraction 0.961 from 0.

Check the register for placeholder transactions. See this:

FAQ: What Are Placeholder Transactions in Quicken for Mac?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • dhwagner
    dhwagner Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    dhwagner said:

George,

I searched the Transactions view for all transactions which match "Corporate" (for the Fidelity Corporate Bond fund). I matched every transaction with a list of transactions downloaded from Fidelity. The share balance after the last transaction was 0 in the Quicken Transactions view and in the downloaded list. But in the Portfolio view the number of shares owned is shown to be 0.961.

I also checked the beginning of the register. There are placeholder transactions for other funds, but not for the Corporate Bond fund. 
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    dhwagner said:

George,

If you expand this fund (click on the disclosure triangle) in the Portfolio view, you should see specific date(s) (lots) that make up the .961. Does that shed any light on what is going on?
  • dhwagner
    dhwagner Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I fixed my problem. There were two transactions for which the fractional part of the share count had been dropped. I also found a placeholder transaction which I had not found before. Fixing the fractional parts and deleting the placeholder fixed the problem.
This discussion has been closed.