Transfers show up weird based on which acct the report is run on

Double-A
Double-A Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken Premier 2018 on Win 10, have latest release (R9.34).

I have set up transfers twice a month between my main checking account and a brokerage account (different institutions) and I have a biweekly paycheck into the checking account which is split and includes a transfer to my 401(k) at another institution.

When I run a register report from my checking account and sort it appropriately, I see every transfer to both of the investment accounts over a specified period of time appearing correctly - everything's fine.

When I run an Investing Activity report from either of the two investment accounts, the total of the transfers from the checking account over the specified time duration (e.g. last quarter) is correct, and when I drill down by double-clicking on "Net Deposits/Withdrawals" and do a sub-total by Category, all the transfers from my checking account show up with the correct date/memo/etc, but some of the amounts are listed as zero and some of the entries show correct amounts.

As an example,on the Investing Activity report upon drilling down, the sum of all the transfers (if I were to calculate it manually) for last quarter might be only $600.00 because only 2 line items of $300 had the correct amounts but the other 4 transfers (supposed to be $300 as well) showed zero amounts (but date, description, memo, etc are all correct).... while the total on the report for the net transfer from the checking account is the correct amount of $1800.00 (incldg the correct amounts for the 4 lines that showed zero amount on the report)!

Looks like the Quicken team needs to sort this out. Or am I missing something fundamental?   

Comments

• Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I think this is a problem with investment reports.  I've seen it in the Investment Transaction report, where a line in the report shows cash transferred into the (investment) account, but no value for the cash is shown. The totals at the bottom of the account do, however, include the amount of the cash transferred.  

I've just tried to create a report showing the problem with QW2018 R10.11, and it now appears to be working correctly; all of the cash transfers in the report are correctly displayed.  The release notes for R10.10 include this:

• Fixed: An issue where some cash transactions were not listed in some Spending reports.
    Although that mentions Spending, rather than investment, reports it may be that the fix has resolved the issue.    As you are reporting seeing the problem with R9.34 I'd suggest updating to the R10.11 release and seeing if the issue is fixed for you.

You can find the patches to update to R10.11 on this Support Page.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Do your cash transactions in the investing accounts include category splits? Prior to QW2018 R10.10, many reports dealt with these incorrectly. Most of these issues have been fixed in R10.10 and presumably R10.11.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Double-A
    Double-A Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Many thanks to Dan G. and Jim H. for your help. Quicken wasn't showing me any program update as being available from the Help menu, but I downloaded the Mondo patch incldg R10.11 just now from the link given in Dan's response. Upshot: The problem still happens.

I was on the phone for 50 mins with Quicken tech support yesterday and during that discussion, I realized an important thing that speaks to Jim's point about splits..... When I drill down on the Deposits amount in the Investing Activity report, the first (unsorted) list of all the transactions that comes up contains all my transfers from the checking acct displaying correctly (amounts are correct), but they also mysteriously appear to have a split (under Category heading) when in fact these transfers were set up as scheduled transactions as a one-to-one transfer without any splits. So Quicken thinks it's a split for some reason, but at least the amount shows up correctly for each transfer in the initial display. [If I double-click on any of the transfer transactions, the detail shows it to be a simple one-to-one inter-account transfer (not a one-to-many split).]

Now, it is when I subtotal the initially displayed list of transactions by Category (in order to group the transactions logically) that the amount for some of the transfers gets set to zero while some transfer amounts are unaffected (all these transactions were reconciled to downloaded transactions from One-Step Update, by the way).

So the problem of the zeroed-out amount doesn't appear on the initial display of the list of transactions but only when subtotaling the transactions by Category! On the other hand, the initial display of the list of transactions shows the transfers to be splits when they actually are not! 

I hope this add'l info helps the Quicken team diagnose the issue and hopefully fix it. As I said, the problem is still unresolved after R10.11. 

Thanks again to Dan and Jim for your guidance.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Unfortunately the Investing Activity report still handles split transactions incorrectly.

The Banking transaction report is similar and does not have these problems. Also all of the spending reports are now OK.

Hopefully one of these will work for you. 
  • Double-A
    Double-A Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes, banking transaction report shows everything correctly. The issue is that my transfers are NOT split transactions and the Investing Activity reports still shows *some* of the individual entries incorrectly (while a few have the correct amount - sounds flaky!). I have thus been using the bank-side report to figure things out for planning purposes.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Thanks, Double-A.

Are the entries that are incorrect in the Investing Activity report the ones that have splits, and the ones without splits are OK?

Note I have seen problems with reporting of split transactions even if there is only one line in the split.

If so, this is an ongoing problem that I have attempted to report. 
  • Double-A
    Double-A Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    None of my transfers are actually splits. When the Investing Activity report is run and I double-click on say the Deposits amount to drill down, a new report with a list of transactions comes up .... in this one, all my transfers show up as splits (Category and Tag columns say "--Split--") for some strange reason (when they were not splits) but at least the amounts are all correctly shown. Then when I re-organize this list of transactions by subtotaling by category, many (but not all) of the transfers show the category correctly as my checking account but the amount gets set to zero! Really weird stuff. 
This discussion has been closed.