Stock Split Issue

Richard@
Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Can anyone help me understand how Q2018 Premier handles Stock Splits?  I received a 2 for 1 split on a Friday - double the number of shares from the previous day - down loaded from my brokerage account.  The price did not change so the value of the security doubled.  Not correct.  I manually adjusted the price to reflect the correct closing price and the value of the security was correct.  The following Monday the shares/prices downloaded and were correct.

My issue is that in Portfolio view my columns for Gain/Loss for for the Security for both $/% for YTD & 12mo show a large loss that is double due to a 50% reduction in price and a 100% increase in shares.  Interestingly enough, the column for Total Gain/Loss $/% is correct for the holding period for the security.

I would really appreciate it if anyone out there could explain how this works and is there a way to manually fix the data to reflect the true effect of the split on those columns which I believe should be zero or close to it.

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    Go to edit the security involved, go to the price history where you can edit the price or delete that days price history, s/b good to go
  • Richard@
    Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Go to edit the security involved, go to the price history where you can edit the price or delete that days price history, s/b good to go

Thanks for the reply.  I did what you suggested before posting my issue.  

After further reviewing the data, it seems that problem is that Quicken computes the YTD and 12 mo gain/loss by using the price of the security on the beginning date times the current # of shares subtracted from the current market value (current price * current # of Shares).  

For Example - YTD Gain/Loss:

Price on Jan 1 = $100 @100 Shares for Market value of $10,000.

Current price is $120 for a Market value of $12,000

As of Mar 1 there is a 2 for 1 Split adding 100 Shares resulting in a price of $60 and a Total value of $12,000.  All Correct - net effect of zero.

However, Quicken's YTD Gain/Loss Column now displays a YTD loss of $8,000 instead of a YTD gain of $2,000.  This is because it computes the value of the security by multiplying the price on Jan 1 by the Current number of shares in the account (instead of the shares on jan 1) and subtracting that from the current Market Value - (Current Market Value of $12,000 minus (Price on Jan 1 of $100*Current 200 Shares =$20,000).

The result of this is that the YTD Gain/loss data for that security is worthless and it affects the YTD total Gain/loss data for the account.  Unless someone can show me a way to fix this issue, I might as well not look at YTD, 12 mo or any other Gain/Loss performance data.

Is this something that is known to Quicken or should be passed on to Quicken?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Richard,  I just upgraded to 2018 and was having the same problem.  I found that Fidelity just ADDED shares to my portfolio rather than recording it as a StkSplit.  I went into my transaction register and recorded it as a split.  I had to dig for the closing price on the day of the split but once I entered it right all my numbers realigned properly.

It's been 3 months for you so maybe you have it resolved.  If not, others may benefit from this post too.
  • hyperstock
    hyperstock Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Investments in quicken for Mac simply are ignored and effort to fix the many many issues with these transaction especially with option trading are not a priority. Option trading tracking just does not work and even though contacted quicken on numuorous occasions going back a few years the problems are still there
This discussion has been closed.