How to troubleshoot portfolio values

Options
sue.estey
sue.estey Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Using QM2018, after years on Quicken 2007 for Mac. My reported net worth over time claims I had an extra $2 million or so from August 2013 until June 15, 2018. The spurious extra 2million or so was claimed to be in my Fidelity IRA. How can I find the reason for this and fix it?

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Must be nice!

Select the IRA account in the sidebar, and click on the Transactions button.

From there, start looking at your transactions to see where the extra $2 Million came from around 8/23. That should get you headed in the right direction.

• Cynthia
    Cynthia Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have had a similar experience. It seems that Quicken 2017 for Mac double-counts some transactions. For example, if I have added cash to my IRA and then bought mutual funds or stock, the software sometimes totals both the added cash and the value of the funds I invested it in. I couldn't make sense of what was going on, so I called Fidelity and they walked me through a process that I've since done several times. You just delete the inaccurate accounts from Quicken, and then set them up again making sure you use the correct Fidelity connection, which is labeled that it's for Mac users. Then Quicken and Fidelity will match. This situation makes me very conscious of making sure that the sum shown in Quicken is the same amount reflected in my Fidelity account. 

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Cynthia said:

I have had a similar experience. It seems that Quicken 2017 for Mac double-counts some transactions. For example, if I have added cash to my IRA and then bought mutual funds or stock, the software sometimes totals both the added cash and the value of the funds I invested it in. I couldn't make sense of what was going on, so I called Fidelity and they walked me through a process that I've since done several times. You just delete the inaccurate accounts from Quicken, and then set them up again making sure you use the correct Fidelity connection, which is labeled that it's for Mac users. Then Quicken and Fidelity will match. This situation makes me very conscious of making sure that the sum shown in Quicken is the same amount reflected in my Fidelity account. 

Cynthia: it isn't that Quicken is double counting things; the vast majority of the time is how data is being presented from the brokerage firm. Sometimes, the data they present isn't the greatest. Quicken is simply representing the data given to it.  That is why I suggest Sue looks at her transactions to see what is going.

While transaction deletion might be necessary, we really meed Sue to delve into her data to see what is going on. Then, we can go from there.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    What security has these wrong values?
    Is it possible that there are bad Quotes Price History records messing up the results?

I remember seeing posts here about a security that was renamed and got a new ticker symbol.
    The original security's ticker symbol was soon thereafter reassigned to a Market Index. This threw off the records of any user who had neglected to follow the security update instructions and were still using the old ticker symbol.
This discussion has been closed.