Conversion from Windows to Mac

Investment transactions do not work on accounts that were transferred from Windows to Mac. 
Research shows that when I enter a Reinvest-Dividend for example, the transaction is there, but the problem lies in that the program then SUBTRACTS to same shares and cost from the very first transaction (a buy) when the security was first purchased so the totals stay the same.  This is a bug am sure.  It should ADD the shares and cost.   Has anyone else run into this problem?

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    This "very first transaction (a buy)-does it happen to be in light gray compared to the rest of your investment transactions?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    No.  
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks. There are no placeholders. I enter transactions mannualy. Do I need to "create" a placeholder with zero balance?
  • John_in_NC
    edited August 2018

Thanks. There are no placeholders. I enter transactions mannualy. Do I need to "create" a placeholder with zero balance?

I suspect you relook at this. Entering a transaction and having the initial transaction do an identical reversal to counteract is a the exact behavior of a placeholder transaction.

That is why I asked if it was in light gray. If it is not, then please post screenshots of the dividend reinvest and the changed initial transaction. Before that, we can't suggest you do anything. (While you can enter adjustments, you can't enter placeholders-the program generates them.) In some cases, simply deleting the placeholder is the solution, but again, we can't advise that until we see what is going on.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018

Help with posting screenshots...

FAQ: Posting a Screenshot
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Screenshot of an example.  The transaction I did is there, but the share and cost amounts on the first transaction (a buy done on 6/2/2015) for that security are reduced by the same amounts as my 7/23/18 transaction.  Buys, sells, adds and removes do the same.  Thank you John and RickO, you have been most helpful.  Hope you have a fix.  
  • John_in_NC
    edited August 2018

Screenshot of an example.  The transaction I did is there, but the share and cost amounts on the first transaction (a buy done on 6/2/2015) for that security are reduced by the same amounts as my 7/23/18 transaction.  Buys, sells, adds and removes do the same.  Thank you John and RickO, you have been most helpful.  Hope you have a fix.  

Thank you, LS Brewster. The screenshots help.

You are missing one key screenshot: you need to click on the Transactions Tab at the top (such as how you got the screenshot where you note "Entry recorded". Scroll through the transactions to the very beginning. Could you post a screenshot of that initial view from that Transaction view? The screenshot of the first transaction appears to be from the Portfolio view.

From that, I am hopeful we can figure out what is going on.

One other question: you mention you manually enter transactions. Has this account ever been taken online?

Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I hope this will help.  I have never done any on-line transactions.  We purchased this security in 2006, sold 296 shares in Feb. 2018 and have had reinvested dividends just about every month.  Thanks for looking at this.  
  • John_in_NC
    edited August 2018

I hope this will help.  I have never done any on-line transactions.  We purchased this security in 2006, sold 296 shares in Feb. 2018 and have had reinvested dividends just about every month.  Thanks for looking at this.  

I apologize for the delay.

If you purchased this security in 2006, then where is the transaction for that? Or did you just start tracking it Quicken? If so, when?

I appreciate the screenshots, but I still haven't seen anything were the original security acquisition (transaction) is getting modified. 

I suggest you move away from the Portfolio view which tracks lots, and look at your actual transactions. That is where the true details are.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Agree with John - focus on the Transactions register.

I'll offer a couple of suggestions to help track this issue down;

1). Include the Shares and Share Balance columns in your register.

2). Filter the register to show only transactions for the security in question.
    Do this by going to the Search field - upper-right of register. Key in the name of the security.
    You should now see a complete transaction history of the specified security - with no other, unrelated activity visible.
    Note the register filters should be set to All Dates, Any Type and Any Status.

Placeholder transactions (if any) will be at the earliest date - e.g., just before the first Buy.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I have given up on this conversion.  I was on the phone for 3 hours with Quicken, they have no idea why, except to say that not all conversions work.  There are so many other problems with the QMac version besides this one.  The lack of reports (budget and investments, lack of customization on the reports that are there), Investment price changes now take 7 steps where on the QWin it took 2.  (at least it works), budgets ??,  Without reports the history is rather useless.  But thanks to John in NC, Rick O and JM for your input.  I just don't have the time to mess with this anymore.  
This discussion has been closed.