How do I reverse a Corp Merger that I did incorrectly??

Chops
Chops Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I just entered a Corp Merger (Stock for Stock) and obviously did something incorrectly.  The value of my account holdings went up by over 1 Million Dollars.  I hit cancel, but it would not stop recomputing.......Now, how do I reverse that entry?????  Running Quicken 2018

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Do you have a backup from before you can restore?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chops
    Chops Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    No.....I had did a whole bunch of entries and then did the Merger......The one I have would be months ago.  I was going to do a back up when I was done reconciling my investment accounts.......

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Chops said:

No.....I had did a whole bunch of entries and then did the Merger......The one I have would be months ago.  I was going to do a back up when I was done reconciling my investment accounts.......

By default, Quicken makes automatic copies every few times you use the program. Have you looked in the Backup folder?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    QW2018 should have generated a Remove Shares transaction, and a series of Add Shares transactions, all dated the same date that you entered for the merger. Delete all those transactions and the basic effect of your error should be gone (as best I recall off the top).
  • Chops
    Chops Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    This solution works!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the Corp. Merger window.....I obviously did something wrong!  Thank you  to all 3 of you who answered and offered solutions so timely.  I learned something I didn't know from each of you!

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Chops said:

This solution works!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the Corp. Merger window.....I obviously did something wrong!  Thank you  to all 3 of you who answered and offered solutions so timely.  I learned something I didn't know from each of you!

If you let us know the companies involved in the merger, we can give exact directions for filling out the merger transaction in Quicken.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.