Reports totally broken

chiefgeek157
chiefgeek157 Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Reports (Windows)
Using Qiucken for Windows R11.20 on Windows 10. Reports are completely broken. I can run reports, but all details are invisible. 

Here is an example of a Spending > Itemized Categories report with all default settings. I pulled out just a portion for privacy. It's all the same. The itemization lines are all blank. DOuble clicking on a line takes me to the right registry entry, so the report "worked". The display is messed up. It's not the font color because it would show up on the different colored rows. It's not the font or font size because the amounts show up.

I've tried this with several freshly created and saved reports of different types. All the same results. This is a major problem right now for me as I cannot get any useful info out of reports at all.

Comments

• chiefgeek157
    chiefgeek157 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Clarification, it appears that only the itemized level of details is invisible in reports. Anything at a summary level shows fine.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Clarification, it appears that only the itemized level of details is invisible in reports. Anything at a summary level shows fine.

Hmm, I'm not seeing this and I have the 2018 release with R11.20.
  • chiefgeek157
    chiefgeek157 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I agree it's weird. This started about a week or two ago. Any report that has itemized lines in it exhibits this same problem.
  • chiefgeek157
    chiefgeek157 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I did a complete uninstall, downloaded from Quicken.com, and reinstalled. No change. I did a validate on my data file. No problems found.

This led me to check if it was my file. I created a fresh file as simply as possible. I created one generic checking account and added one simple transaction. All itemized reports appear to work in that file.

I made a copy of my main data file, including all dates and options. The copy exhibits the same problem.

At this point it looks like my data file, which contains 4 years and thousands of transactions and investments, is corrupt. The data validation feature does not find any problems.

I need some serious assistance on this one.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

I did a complete uninstall, downloaded from Quicken.com, and reinstalled. No change. I did a validate on my data file. No problems found.

This led me to check if it was my file. I created a fresh file as simply as possible. I created one generic checking account and added one simple transaction. All itemized reports appear to work in that file.

I made a copy of my main data file, including all dates and options. The copy exhibits the same problem.

At this point it looks like my data file, which contains 4 years and thousands of transactions and investments, is corrupt. The data validation feature does not find any problems.

I don't think it will matter, but you can try Super Validate.
    Edit -> Preferences -> File Operations -> hold down Ctrl+Shift and select Validate & Repair -> Super validate file -> OK
  • chiefgeek157
    chiefgeek157 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Just read about Super Validate this morning. Didn't make a difference. Thanks for the suggestion @QPW.
  • chiefgeek157
    chiefgeek157 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    RESOLVED: It tunes out it was the Columns settings in the report. There is a button to "Reset Columns" on the report configuration dialog. Clicking that showed all of the columns again in the list, and that allowed the report to run correctly.

So the problem appears to be that Quicken somehow erase the columns of every report, most likely on report run. Using Reset Columns brings them all back. I usually don't change the columns, so nothing important lost for me. I checked a number of my saved reports and new reports, and they all exhibit this problem.

Here is what a messed up report looks like on the report settings dialog. Notice that the columns list just has a single entry for generic column name "Column".

After clicking "Reset Columns", the columns are reset. This is what the list looks like after clicking the Reset Columns button (this is an itemized categories report):

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

RESOLVED: It tunes out it was the Columns settings in the report. There is a button to "Reset Columns" on the report configuration dialog. Clicking that showed all of the columns again in the list, and that allowed the report to run correctly.

So the problem appears to be that Quicken somehow erase the columns of every report, most likely on report run. Using Reset Columns brings them all back. I usually don't change the columns, so nothing important lost for me. I checked a number of my saved reports and new reports, and they all exhibit this problem.

Here is what a messed up report looks like on the report settings dialog. Notice that the columns list just has a single entry for generic column name "Column".

After clicking "Reset Columns", the columns are reset. This is what the list looks like after clicking the Reset Columns button (this is an itemized categories report):

Are / were you reusing a Saved Report, perhaps one that was created in a prior version of Quicken?
    The programmers didn't say specifically, but it does appear to me that old saved reports may show garbage data. If that happens, Reset Columns fixes that problem. Afterwards save the report again, replacing the old saved copy.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

I'm glad you figured it out.  BTW one other thing I thought of is since it just started a week or two ago, you could have restored from a backup if you have one that old.

And I suggest that you keep enough backups so that would be possible if something like this happens in the future.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

@UKR he said in the original post that he tried new and saved reports with the same result.
  • Steve Berry
    Steve Berry Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for this.  It was driving me crazy and I kept expecting to see a fix listed in one of the updates and never saw any mention.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I've had the same problem and been meaning to contact Q for support. Finally got online and did some digging. Problem solved. Thanks so much!!
This discussion has been closed.