Investing - Withdrawal Transaction Copy & Paste Broken

Marshall Berube
Marshall Berube Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have a stock that pays a monthly dividend.  I can enter a DIV transaction using "Copy Transaction" and "Paste Transaction" to record the income earned from the transfer agent. 

When I attempt to record the WITHDRAWAL transaction (disbursement of the dividend monies from my brokerage account), the "Copy Transaction" seems to work, but the "Past Transaction" is grayed out and unavailable as a choice.  The WITHDRAWAL transaction does have 3 split transactions that I am trying to record at the same time:. Split Transaction #1 - Dividend Cash Movement to my Checking Account, Split Transaction #2 - Federal Tax Withholding Amount for the dividend, and Split Transaction #3 - Wire Fee for the Dividend Cash Movement to my Checking Account.  

This problem has been broken for a number of years. My workaround is to create a new WITHDRAWAL transaction every month from scratch.  It seems if Quicken wasn't going to allow a copy and paste transaction for WITHDRAWALS  in the Investing Function, it would be grayed out in the Copy Transaction and prevent a user from trying to use it to begin with.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Have you tried creating a Memorized Investment Transaction? You right-click on an existing transaction and pick Memorize.

Then each month you select the appropriate account, go to the memorized transactions, and double-click on the one you want to use. 

You can also create a Reminder for the memorized transaction.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Marshall Berube
    Marshall Berube Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thanks for your help.  I tried your suggestion and only the DIV is memorized.  The WITHDRAWAL is ignored. I can't get anything to memorize the WITHDRAWAL transaction.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hmm

I can't explain why it won't let you memorize or paste a Withdraw transaction.

Another possibility would be to make an entry in your Memorized Payee List for "Monthly Distribution" or whatever you want to call it, with the transfer to checking and the other splits. Lock the transaction so the amounts won't get changed.

Then when you create a new Withdraw transaction, you can type the name or pick this payee and at least all the splits will be filled in.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.