Quicken 2018 will not memorize Payees

Unknown
Unknown Member
Not able to memorize ANY payees.  Keep trying but even when I do "new" and fill it in nothing shows.  BUT in my registers Quicken has memorized payees and automatically inserts the categories.  A couple are wrong and I cannot change them either by re-memorizing the payee or going to the tools/payee and trying to create a new memorized payee.

Comments

• Robert Armani
    Robert Armani Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Right click on a payee, and select memorize payee
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks but I've done that repeatedly.  Does not stick.  
  • Robert Armani
    Robert Armani Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Try the Validate & Repair the data and see if it'll help.
    File > Validate & Repair, select the 1st checkbox.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to
    ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and possibly the required Intuit ID to
    Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 16.1 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 15.15 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 ... Release R 8.10 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 all users should have been updated to 2018 already

- 2018 ... Release R 4.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already:

Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch
    file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Temporarily disable your Antivirus software for the entire duration of the next
    step:

- Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when
    done with the above.

2) Validate

You should validate
    your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and
    Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots",
    check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by
    Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new
    file and try your failing action again. If it works, keep using the new file
    and abandon the old one.

3) Rebuild MPL

After creating a
    backup of your Quicken data file ...

To rebuild the Memorized Payee List from existing transactions, click Tools,
    hold down Shift and CTRL, then click Memorized Payee List.

4) Check Settings

Go into Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill
    Ensure that all options pertaining to memorization are enabled.
    Also enable setting "Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months" and set [xx] to something like 12 or 24.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I have the same problem with Quicken not memorizing a payee.  I keep changing the category but it will not remember the new category.  I tried closing down Quicken and restarting after closing and it still will not memorize the change.

Example:  The vendor HomeGoods is normally the category "Goods" however last Christmas I bought a gift and changed that one purchase to "Gift:Christmas" and since then it is still auto entering "Gift:Christmas" for HomeGoods.  I have been tolerating this since last Christmas and it is now October!!!

I have upgraded to 2019 since then hoping that it would fix the problem.

I tried the Validate Data suggestion above.

I tried to backup however after doing the backup procedure the system says "Cannot backup file".

Does anyone have any suggestions?

R14.27

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I have the same problem with Quicken not memorizing a payee.  I keep changing the category but it will not remember the new category.  I tried closing down Quicken and restarting after closing and it still will not memorize the change.

Example:  The vendor HomeGoods is normally the category "Goods" however last Christmas I bought a gift and changed that one purchase to "Gift:Christmas" and since then it is still auto entering "Gift:Christmas" for HomeGoods.  I have been tolerating this since last Christmas and it is now October!!!

I have upgraded to 2019 since then hoping that it would fix the problem.

I tried the Validate Data suggestion above.

I tried to backup however after doing the backup procedure the system says "Cannot backup file".

Does anyone have any suggestions?

R14.27

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check your Memorized Payee List and edit the HomeGoods entry in there to have the correct category.
    Once corrected, mark this entry as "locked" so it won't accidentally get changed from your preferred category again.
This discussion has been closed.