Close Account showing in Portfolio View

Options
Ken429
Ken429 Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I closed a brokerage account and it still shows on the right side of the Portfolio view.  The left side of the Portfolio view is correct - it went away!  What am I doing wrong?

I'm sure I've closed brokerage accounts in the past (old versions of Quicken) and had no issues.  Now, I'm using the latest greatest version of quicken (Year 2019, Version R15.18, Build 27.1.15.18).  Is this a new bug?

It appears this or a similar issue has been around for awhile.  But the other threads do not sound exactly like the problem I'm having?  Help appreciated.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If by "right side of the Portfolio view" you are talking about the actual portfolio view (and not the Account Bar) ...
    The portfolio views need to be customized individually, to show the accounts you would like to see. Closing and/or hiding an account in Quicken does (unfortunately, IMHO) not automatically update any of the Portfolio views.
    Click the Customize button, select the Accounts tab in the popup menu and remove the closed account.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Please clarify:

When you say "went away" do you mean the account disappeared, the balance went to 0.00, or both?

When you say "the left side of the Portfolio view" do you mean the Accounts Bar, which says Accounts at the top and shows all of your accounts with their balances, or something else?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ken429
    Ken429 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Yes, when I said left side I meant the Accounts Bar.  When I said the Account went away in the Accounts Bar - that is exactly what Quicken should have done and it did. 

UKR,
    Thanks for the response.  I clicked the Customize button and remove the Account that I Closed.  Problem solved.  Don't know how I missed the "obvious" since I had been to that popup several times!  Curious, has that changed in recent releases?  Like I said above, I've closed several Accounts in the past and don't remember having to remove them. 

Thanks for the help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ken429 said:

Yes, when I said left side I meant the Accounts Bar.  When I said the Account went away in the Accounts Bar - that is exactly what Quicken should have done and it did. 

UKR,
    Thanks for the response.  I clicked the Customize button and remove the Account that I Closed.  Problem solved.  Don't know how I missed the "obvious" since I had been to that popup several times!  Curious, has that changed in recent releases?  Like I said above, I've closed several Accounts in the past and don't remember having to remove them. 

Thanks for the help.

I'm not aware of anything having changed in Portfolio Views in several years.
    But, as I hinted, I wish the Portfolio Views would at least react to added or newly closed / hidden accounts in some fashion.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ken429 said:

UKR,

Thanks for the help.

Like I said above, I've closed several Accounts in the past and don't remember having to remove them.  
    I suspect that if the user has customized the account list for a portfolio view, that customization is maintained.  If the account list for that specific view is not customized, the settings for hidden and closed account is applied.  The same effects would apply with respect to the security list. 

Again, I have not confirmed that behavior; it is my speculation.  

I believe it has been the programming approach in the past that newly added accounts and securities are automatically added to the portfolio views and most (maybe all?) reports.  I characterize that approach as showing the user the data is included and letting him remove it as opposed to expecting him to remember the data (account or security) was not included in the report or portfolio view.
This discussion has been closed.