shorted options expiring out of the money still shown in account holdings

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
As described in title.  Can not prevent a shorted option that expires out-of-the-money from still be listed in account holdings, even though the share balance is zero.  The transaction where the position is opened is entered as "ShtSell", and the balancing transaction entered after the option expiration date is entered as "Add - shares added".  The "date acquired" box in the closing transaction box has been filled in with the date that the option was shorted so that both transactions have the same lot number for the shares.  I'm using Quicken 2016 deluxe for Windows.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/recalculate-investment-register

Is there a reason you didn't use a CvrShrt action transaction?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The closing transaction should be a Cover Short, not an Add Shares.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    That did the trick.  Thanks guys.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I imported the transactions from TDAmeritrade, and they were coming in as add or remove shares, depending on whether it was a long or short that was expiring.  They are also inconsistent in their nomenclature, sometimes reporting options as the base ticker, strike price, call or put, and expiration, and other times as their Cuspid number, leading to a lot of manual editing to rationalize the data in Quicken.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

I imported the transactions from TDAmeritrade, and they were coming in as add or remove shares, depending on whether it was a long or short that was expiring.  They are also inconsistent in their nomenclature, sometimes reporting options as the base ticker, strike price, call or put, and expiration, and other times as their Cuspid number, leading to a lot of manual editing to rationalize the data in Quicken.  

A number of financial institutions don't post transactions appropriately to Quicken.  If you haven't already, you may also want to check for placeholder transactions: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-faq-managing-placeholder-entries-in-quic...
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

To Sherlock's point and to what you have noticed with TDA, TDA does not provide the accurate transaction to Quicken.  The OFX file format has a transaction type of EXPIRE but TDA doesn't send that transaction (even though that is what actually happened).  Instead then send an ADD transaction to Quicken.  It annoys the crap out of me but nothing Quicken can really do.  Too bad TDA doesn't care enough to fix it.

And yes, TDA also sends through differing symbols for their options and does that does not follow the standard OCC option format.  Bad on their part again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

I contacted TDAmeritrade about the issue of going back and forth between using Cuspid and base ticker, call or put, strike, expiration notation.  They said their technical department was aware of the issue, but could not provide an ETA for a fix.
This discussion has been closed.