Why do some customers not show in the Project/Job list

Looking through the project/job list only about 2/3 of the customers in the customer list are showing up.  I can't find any differences in how they are set up in the customer list, how they are entered on invoices etc.

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Jim Williams ,

See this Article: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

This forum is not look the original Intuit / Quicken forum, where you had to jump through hoops to post a Quicken Problem or Question, this is Get Satisfaction powered support for Quicken.

You need to post information on what you are running so others running the same can respond and help you. You might have posted before, but Repliers aren't going to search.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Jim Williams
    Jim Williams Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Ok, sorry.  I'm running Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property, yr 2019, version R15.18, build 27.1.15.18 on Windows 10 version 1803, OS build 17134.407
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Ok, sorry.  I'm running Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property, yr 2019, version R15.18, build 27.1.15.18 on Windows 10 version 1803, OS build 17134.407

Hi @ Jim Williams ,

Look in Help: Manage your Business.

I don't run a Business.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Jim Williams
    Jim Williams Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Thanks, but I already checked "Help" and it wasn't any help.  The problem is only some customers are showing up on the report and not others.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    How many customers total do you have? More than 500?
    There's a possibility that you're running into some kind of a limit.

Check your Address Book.
    Are all customers marked as Quick Fill and Customer List? Vendor List for vendors?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

As its name indicates, the Project/Job List is a list of projects/jobs (Business > Project/Job List) ... not a list of Customers.

For a customer to appear in the Project/Job List, they must have at least one Project/Job assigned to them.

To create a project/job for a customer, see the New button at the foot of the Project/Job List.

If you are trying to say that already created Projects/Jobs for some customers do not appear in the List, make sure "All Customers" and "All Accounts" are selected in the filter dropdowns at the top of the List. Also make sure you have not checked any of the "Hide" choices available in the "Options" dropdown at the foot of the List.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim Williams
    Jim Williams Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks C.D. for the suggestions.  The list is set to Customer:all and select account:all.   I'm only looking for a quick list of all invoices by customer and thought this list would do the trick. I can get that info from printing a statement for just one customer, but then I have to print to either paper or pdf file. Alternately I can sort my invoice register by customer, but lose the ability to see just one customer like you can on the project list.

I guess I just don't really understand the concept of project/job.   This is the text from the "help" section of tracking projects that I was going by: 

Though you don't need to assign a business form to a project/job (Quicken tracks
    the form for you by customer anyway), we recommend using projects/jobs; if you
    have multiple projects underway with a single customer, you can track each
    project separately.  

I took this to mean that all invoices for customer would be listed by customer with out setting up a project/job and that I only needed to create a project/job if I wanted to sub-group invoices (or other forms) by project/job (or whatever I wanted to name it) for the same customer.  I guess I could create one job for each customer and assign all forms to that, but that seems pretty redundant and more trouble than it's worth. 

I've never created a project/job for anyone, yet some customers show with all their invoices and payments and others do not.  I've compared all the customers in my "address book" and find no differences; looked at all invoices and found no differences, so thought I was just missing something obvious.  I was just trying to figure out why some did show and others didn't.  I guess I'll just go with resorting the register and scroll when I need that info.

Thanks again for the reply
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Thanks C.D. for the suggestions.  The list is set to Customer:all and select account:all.   I'm only looking for a quick list of all invoices by customer and thought this list would do the trick. I can get that info from printing a statement for just one customer, but then I have to print to either paper or pdf file. Alternately I can sort my invoice register by customer, but lose the ability to see just one customer like you can on the project list.

I guess I just don't really understand the concept of project/job.   This is the text from the "help" section of tracking projects that I was going by: 

Though you don't need to assign a business form to a project/job (Quicken tracks
    the form for you by customer anyway), we recommend using projects/jobs; if you
    have multiple projects underway with a single customer, you can track each
    project separately.  

I took this to mean that all invoices for customer would be listed by customer with out setting up a project/job and that I only needed to create a project/job if I wanted to sub-group invoices (or other forms) by project/job (or whatever I wanted to name it) for the same customer.  I guess I could create one job for each customer and assign all forms to that, but that seems pretty redundant and more trouble than it's worth. 

I've never created a project/job for anyone, yet some customers show with all their invoices and payments and others do not.  I've compared all the customers in my "address book" and find no differences; looked at all invoices and found no differences, so thought I was just missing something obvious.  I was just trying to figure out why some did show and others didn't.  I guess I'll just go with resorting the register and scroll when I need that info.

Thanks again for the reply

From C. D. Bales:

My apologies. My further tests indicate that Quicken "can" create an entry in the Project/Job List for a Customer (or a Vendor) invoice that has no Project/Job assigned. But it does not do so consistently.

I believe I have been able to reproduce your problem. Though I certainly would not describe the problem as "customers" missing from the Project/Job List: it's more like "invoices" or "transactions" missing from the Project/Job List. I see some invoices for a given Customer in the List, and other invoices for that same Customer missing from the List.

In my limited tests, the invoices that had a Project/Job assigned always appeared in the Project/Job List; some invoices that did not have a Project/Job assigned appeared in the List, but other invoices that did not have a Project/Job assigned.did not appear in the List..

Given the name of the List, and that Quicken Help says:

"Quicken tracks your projects/jobs in the Project/Job List, which provides a quick and convenient overview of all your current project/jobs and the individual invoices, estimates, bills, and so on that make up each project/job";

I'm inclined to agree with the essence of my initial diagnosis, that the Project/Job List is intended to display Projects / Jobs. The fact that it displays some transactions that have no Project/Job, seems to me to be a mistake. If it's not a mistake, I think Quicken should update the Quicken Help to better explain what the intentions are.

I believe there may be a couple of alternatives to the Project/Job List.

You can sort the list found at Business > Print Invoices/Invoices List, by Customer (click in the "Customer" heading).

You can sort the Banking > Transaction report by Description (Customer). It's not clear to me exactly what your end goal is, but I think you should be able to Customize that report to show what you want.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim Williams
    Jim Williams Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks again C.D. for you insight into this issue.  My terminology was indeed not specific to the problem as the help text does indeed talk about tracking forms as opposed to customers.  Thanks for the advice on alternate ways to get the list I was looking for.  The project list just seemed a quick easy way to see invoices for a specific customer and I'm OK with using some other report.   I raised the question because of the inconsistency of what is shown, thinking it was something I had overlooked or been inconsistent with my entries on the invoices or customer data file, rather than a software issue.

Thanks again and hope you have good holidays
This discussion has been closed.