Service Charge & Interest Earned on the Reconcile Report

EMS_Medic
EMS_Medic Member ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Reports (Windows)
After completing a reconcile, and printing the reconciliation report. It looks like the following:

Previous Balance
 Cheques and Payments
 Deposits and Other Credits
 Service Charge
 Interest Earned
Ending Balance of Bank Statement

(Please note that this is an online account).

I've noted that I marked a transaction as "INT" on the "Cheque Number" field and as "Interest Inc" category, and it appears under the "Interest Earned" section of the report.

However, I am unable to determine how to note a transaction as a "Service Charge" on this report.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
--Phil

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Try entering the payee as Service Charge.

When reconciling an offline account, Quicken presents a different dialog which prompts for a service charge, enters it with that payee name, and it appears as such in the reconciliation report.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• EMS_Medic
    EMS_Medic Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

When reconciling an offline account, Quicken presents a different dialog which prompts for a service charge, enters it with that payee name, and it appears as such in the reconciliation report.

I tried entering it on the last account that I reconcile and ran the reconciliation report again but it didn't show up.

Do I need to have it in there BEFORE reconciling?

Thank you,
    --Phil
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Not sure. I had just run a quick test and came up with that guess. I don’t actually have any offline accounts. It seems plausible that you’d need to enter the transaction first, so Reconcile would see it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

In the original post I see "Please note that this is an online account" I think that you might have misread that.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I played with this, and I think the answer is you can't get there from here.

When you are reconciling an account that isn't connected to an online account you get this dialog:

Enter a Service Charge here results in a transaction with the payee of Service charge, and a category of Bank Charge.  This appears on the reconcile report.

I played with it and changing the payee a rerunning the report didn't change this amount in the report, but changing the category did.

I then tried putting in the same transaction in an account that is connected to an online account and it doesn't show up.  Even deactivating that account doesn't make it show up.

I think Quicken is somehow marking that transaction "special" when going through the "offline" reconcile process.

Note that normally you would never enter this service fee for an "online" account because you would just download it as just another transaction, and the category would be whatever you choose.
This discussion has been closed.