Two Factor with Vanguard

KenW
KenW Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
QW 2018 latest version. I activated two factor by mistake and it is causing me problems with one step update. Is there a way around this & how to do it.

Thanks
KenW

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Have you attempted to deactivate 2FA on Vanguard?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I have two factor login on my Vanguard accounts and it doesn't cause any problems.  Investment accounts are only supported with Direct Connect, and Direct Connect has its own security model.  It doesn't go through the two factor login, that is only for the website.

What kind of problems are you running into?
    Error messages?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    P.S. Did you activate, "security code" or "security key"?
  • KenW
    KenW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I called them and they will not remove two factor
    KenW
  • KenW
    KenW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Security code by telephone
    KenW
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

I have two factor login on my Vanguard accounts and it doesn't cause any problems.  Investment accounts are only supported with Direct Connect, and Direct Connect has its own security model.  It doesn't go through the two factor login, that is only for the website.

Error messages?

Good to know... I've always been leery of using because I didn't want it to interfere with Q.
  • KenW
    KenW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Error messages?

I did not set up my Vanguard accounts like my checking & savings account from Wells Fargo. I have just set up my IRA like my Wells Fargo. Don't know how to use Web Connect with Vanguard. I am willing to delete my Vanguard and start from scratch, May need help with this though. I have the same accounts on 4 machines so nothing is lost if I screw up
    KenW
  • KenW
    KenW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Error messages?

Can you walk me through setting up Vanguard with Web Connect or point me where to get information
    KenW
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

I use the same.  So I will ask again. What problems/errors are you getting in Quicken?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    KenW said:

I believe that I read something from Vanguard that they were going to require this after a certain point in time.
  • KenW
    KenW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Error messages?

I think I found what I want in QW help investment manual setup. I will repost if it does not work.
    KenW
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Error messages?

Just so you know.  To use Web Connect you would log into the Vanguard website and go to the Balances and holdings web page.  At the top right of that page there is a Download button that will take you to a web page where you can download a Web Connect/QFX file.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Error messages?

And just to be clear Express Web Connect isn't Web Connect.  Express Web Connect is an alternative to Direct Connect, but it can't be used for investment accounts, and Direct Connect is more reliable anyways.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    KenW said:

I just checked and I can still disable it.  I'm not sure why they wouldn't do it over the phone, maybe for security reasons.

You just need to go to Account Maintenance and then Security Code.

Here is a help on it.
  • KenW
    KenW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    OK got it running. Thanks for all the help.  Because of the way the market is these days some of the dollar amounts may not be correct. Just to backup the file, verify it and import it to remove any "garbage"
    KenW
This discussion has been closed.