Invoice description does not print

Options
This is not a new problem, I see, but the old threads are all locked. Here's how I solved it:

Many of my invoices are scheduled to recur each month. The Description field copies into each month's invoice--or so it seems! I see the description in the invoice form, but when I print (using any driver) the Description is blank. To fix, I have to retype the Description in the Form. Then the invoice prints correctly.

Quicken Home Business Rental, current version.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    From C. D. Bales:

I find your problem description lacking in some useful information (and I fail to see what locked old threads have to do with your problem - if you thought they did, you should have included links to them in your post, and explained how they related).

You say you're using "Quicken Home Business Rental, current version". That's unhelpful: it requires users to know what version was current on the date of your post. Look at Help > About Quicken: post at least the Quicken year and Version, or post the Build.

I have Q2019 R16.14 (Build 27.1.16.14).

You refer to "invoices": what type of invoice? Customer invoices or Vendor invoices?

You say "many" of your "invoices are scheduled to recur each month". Assuming that you mean you have "Reminders" for your invoices:

_ How exactly were those Reminders created?

_ How exactly were those Reminders "entered"?

You refer to the invoice "Description field". Are you talking about the invoice column titled "Description" (or possibly the invoice column titled "Item")?

When you say the "description does not print", are you referring only to what appears on a hard copy printout, or is the "description" also missing from the Print "Preview"?

_ When I create a Customer invoice Reminder from scratch (in Tools > Manage Bill & Income Reminders), and Enter that Reminder into a Customer invoice account, both the invoice ITEM column and the invoice DESCRIPTION column are populated with the values I saved in the Reminder.

_ When I create a Customer invoice Reminder by right-clicking an invoice in a Customer invoice account and selecting Add Reminder, the reminder is (incorrectly) created with a blank ITEM column - even though the invoice from which it was created had a valid Item name in the ITEM column. While that seems to clearly be a bug, it does not require the user to modify every subsequent invoice transaction created from that Reminder: the user can modify the Reminder to contain the desired ITEM name(s) ... from that point on, when that Reminder is "Entered" in a Customer invoice account, it contains the Item Name(s) from the Reminder.

_ No matter how I create a Vendor Invoice Reminder (either by right-clicking a Vendor invoice and clicking Add Reminder; or clicking Add in Manage Bill and Income Reminders), it always retains the DESCRIPTION column it had when I created it.

When I view the Preview for either a Customer or Vendor invoice, I see the same thing I see in the invoice form; and that is also what I see in a resulting PDF file or a hard copy printout.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• danhotchkiss
    danhotchkiss Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I wrote to offer a practical suggestion to other users in a similar predicament, not to ask for help. That's why I omitted the details you were so disappointed not to find. Nonetheless I appreciate your taking so much time trying to be helpful.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

I wrote to offer a practical suggestion to other users in a similar predicament, not to ask for help. That's why I omitted the details you were so disappointed not to find. Nonetheless I appreciate your taking so much time trying to be helpful.

From C. D. Bales:

"I wrote to offer a practical suggestion to other users in a similar predicament ....".

And I wrote to point out that your "practical suggestion" is not very practical; and that I found a much more "practical suggestion".

Whether my suggestion applies to your specific predicament depends: the question was - and still is - exactly what "predicament" are you in? The answers to my questions should help pin that down.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• danhotchkiss
    danhotchkiss Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thank you for you persistent interest in helping others. I've stopped notifications on this topic, as my problem is resolved.
This discussion has been closed.