Subcategories appearing as ACCOUNTS after migration from Moneydance

Options
roadsterfoodie
roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
A few months ago I got fed up with Moneydance and migrated my data file to Quicken for Mac 2019. After extensive clean-up, one problem remains: Six of my subcategories under a single parent category are now appearing as accounts and every time I try to update all online accounts, these 'accounts' try to update, which of course fails. Is there any way to tag these 'accounts' as categories as they should be or otherwise remove them? And by the way, these subcategories still also appear in the Categories list as subcategories. Go figure. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! 

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Rename the categories to something else.  Make sure it's something unique NOT EVEN CLOSE to the name of the account.

From the Account sidebar, right click and delete the account.

Then go back and rename the categories if you wish.

Make sure you backup your Quicken Mac data file BEFORE you start.  
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Hub Smily said:

Rename the categories to something else.  Make sure it's something unique NOT EVEN CLOSE to the name of the account.

From the Account sidebar, right click and delete the account.

Then go back and rename the categories if you wish.

Make sure you backup your Quicken Mac data file BEFORE you start.  

In addition to cleaning out these errant accounts, I suggest before doing any syncing/updating that you reset your cloud data. That way, and erroneous information that might be cached on the Quicken Cloud doesn't get pushed back into your desktop file. (It can happen.)

Under Quicken:Preferences, you will see a Connected Services tab. Under your Cloud Account, you will see the option to begin to Reset the cloud services. Go through that pathway to reset.
  • roadsterfoodie
    roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! Unfortunately I made a mistake in my original description. Although I said that these subcategories appear as accounts, they actually never appear in the account sidebar. There is no accounts list in the menus except for 'Hide and Show Accounts' and I have left these 6 'accounts' unchecked for Hide in Lists and Reports.

These only appear as 'accounts' during the online sync process. And when the online update fails, they appear in the 'Quicken Errors' window (see attachment) as though they were  accounts. So it is not possible to right-click in the sidebar to delete them. Otherwise, the solution described above would work. Thanks!
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for your replies! Unfortunately I made a mistake in my original description. Although I said that these subcategories appear as accounts, they actually never appear in the account sidebar. There is no accounts list in the menus except for 'Hide and Show Accounts' and I have left these 6 'accounts' unchecked for Hide in Lists and Reports.

These only appear as 'accounts' during the online sync process. And when the online update fails, they appear in the 'Quicken Errors' window (see attachment) as though they were  accounts. So it is not possible to right-click in the sidebar to delete them. Otherwise, the solution described above would work. Thanks!

I would (as Hub first suggested, backup), and then reset your cloud data. Something on the backend is thinking these accounts exist.

While I have heard of bizarre things happening with the Cloud servers, this one is more unique. I have not heard of categories turning into accounts (if that truly happened), but coming from Moneydance, who knows what could have gotten crossed in the process. 
  • roadsterfoodie
    roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thank you! I will give that a shot and post my result. And yes, the migration from Moneydance was very dodgy, but I'm glad I made the switch. The QIF file generated by MD required extensive corrections, but they followed a pattern so with some careful work, I think I now have a workable Quicken file. 
  • roadsterfoodie
    roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I tried resetting cloud data and the behavior is unchanged. I am getting the same 6 errors shown above, where 6 subcategories try to update and eventually fail. I wonder if there is some settings file that I can update to take out those 6 'accounts.' 
  • roadsterfoodie
    roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I suspect that the QIF file produced during export by Moneydance was the cause of this anomaly. There was a great deal of clean-up required following my import into Quicken for Mac 2018. Split transactions that included both transfers and multiple categories were problematic, but at least they followed a pattern so were fixable. I'm thinking that I can try changing any transactions utilizing these troublesome subcategories and then delete the subcategories. I'll post what happens here. 
This discussion has been closed.