Repeating stock sell transaction?

[Deleted User]
edited January 2019 in Investing (Mac)
Quicken DeLuxe for Mac 2019.  I'm a new user but have used Quicken for Windows (way) in the past.

I have a regular distribution from an IRA.  It involves two parts:

1. a 'sell' of money market shares with proceeds to the cash balance of the brokerage account; and
2. a transfer of the proceeds with a split for withheld taxes and net proceeds to my checking account.

These two things happen like clockwork on the 1st of the month.

I was able to set up a repeating transaction for #2 but haven't yet found a way to do a repeating transaction for #1.  Is this even possible?  If not, this is really inconvenient.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    No, you can't schedule buy/sell transactions. But what you can do is just duplicate the last transaction and change the date. Command-D on the keyboard will duplicate the selected transaction.

One other thought... you don't say if this account is connected online. But you might want to consider just showing the money market balance as cash in the account. Since money market shares are fixed at $1, there's really not a lot of benefit to holding it as a security. If you do this, you won't have to ever record the selling of those shares. However, if the account is connected online, you may be stuck with how your brokerage reports transmits it to Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2019
    You write:

One other thought... you don't say if this account is connected online. But you might want to consider just showing the money market balance as cash in the account. Since money market shares are fixed at $1, there's really not a lot of benefit to holding it as a security. If you do this, you won't have to ever record the selling of those shares. However, if the account is connected online, you may be stuck with how your brokerage reports transmits it to Quicken.

It's not connected online.  The reason why is because of your last point:  ...if the account is connected online, you may be stuck with how your brokerage reports transmits it to Quicken.

The brokerage is particularly incompetent in this regard.  I go through the statement each month and true things up.  This also gives me a chance to connect with my financial planner to ask questions about other things.  We've had a long relationship so, if I didn't do this, he'd probably call the cops to have them check on my well-being :-)

Thanks for your help.

This discussion has been closed.