401K Balance for Vanguard doesn't match online or other online tracking systems

Options
Matthew Moran
Matthew Moran Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Mac)
I have no problem connecting to my Vanguard 401K for QM2018 account and recently I paid off to loans I had through my 401K however the Portfolio view still shows a negative cash (I assume the loans). I've actually deleted the account and tried to readd/download and the balance is the same. It is off by a fair amount in terms of dollars and percentage. I have no clue how to get it to fix itself?

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I don't think your loans are the cause of your issue. (I have never taken a loan against my 401k, but I know several people who do. And their cash balances haven't gone negative.) But, each financial institution can do things differently, and Vanguard always appears to have their own way of doing things, so they may be. :-(

I suggest you investigate a bit further to see where your discrepancies appear. Are the holdings (share balances and value) correct? What about the running balance in the transaction view? Does that yield clues as to where your balance went negative?

Since you deleted the account and reactive, then you likely will have placeholder transactions at the beginning of your account. (These will be in light gray and act as opening balance adjustments.) Examine those: they might shed some light on what is going on.

Since none of us know your particular situation, the above is about the best any of us can suggest. You might have to do a little digging to figure out what is going on. Good luck!
  • Matthew Moran
    Matthew Moran Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Sorry for the huge delay and within my account, the amounts for each of the funds is correct, the problem shows a negative cash which is what is throwing it off. I have no loans or anything unusual. I have cash transactions and I've added a single cash transaction to "fix" the offset however it keeps changing as the market prices do so I'd have to update it daily.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Check to see if you have any Placeholder transactions in that Vanguard register in Quicken. 
This discussion has been closed.