How to change incorrect account type in Quicken2007

Options
4 months ago in Quicken2007 I created 2 new accounts for IRAs that I inherited from my son. I don't remember the steps that I used to do so.  I only entered the initial share & price amounts (1 transaction in each account).  Considering all the estate issues that I've had to deal with, I haven't even looked back at those accounts until today.

Somehow in the original setup of these accounts, I obviously chose the wrong "type" (or whatever).  My existing IRA & other mutual fund accounts (transaction tab) show date, action, security, description, inv amt and share bal.

These 2 new accounts show the same first 5 headers, but Cash Amt and Cash Bal as the right most headers.

Is there a way to change those 2 accounts (to match the others)?  I'd prefer to "convert" the existing rather than create again from scratch, because I had already entered several transactions today in each account before I noticed the problem.

Additionally, I also changed those 2 account names (summary tab).   When I entered dividend, capital gain, etc transaction types the new account names aren't automatically shown in the pop-up box.  In fact, they weren't even in the drop down list of accounts (but the old names were still there).  I assume that's because those types of transactions aren't used with the existing account types.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Off the top of my head ... could you have created these new accounts as "Single Mutual Fund" accounts by mistake?
    Go into Edit Account Details and change the Single Mutual Fund "Yes" radio button to "No"
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UKR said:
    Off the top of my head ... could you have created these new accounts as "Single Mutual Fund" accounts by mistake?
    Go into Edit Account Details and change the Single Mutual Fund "Yes" radio button to "No"
    Actually, since the OP sees the Cash and and Cash Balance columns, but does not want to, I think he needs to change the Single Mutual Fund (SMF) setting from No to Yes.  As long as there is only one transaction for one security, he should be able to do that.

Now my personal preference would be to go the other way.  I find SMF accounts to be too limiting as to the types of transactions and scope.  For example, if at some point you want to change from Fund A to Fund B, with SMF accounts you need a new security and a new account.  With regular account, you just need the new security. 

A common observation from bygone days (QW2007 vintage) was that the SMF accounts gave quick presentation of the share balance in the transactions list; regular accounts did not.  In more recent releases, the regular accounts also show share balance in the transaction list.