How do I add missing cost basis information in Quicken for Mac

BetteMaron
BetteMaron Member
edited February 2019 in Investing (Mac)
I transferred a file from my Windows Quicken to the Mac, but some securities have missing entries for cost basis.  I know what to enter, but haven't figured out how.  Share balances are fine.

Best Answer

• BetteMaron
    BetteMaron Member
    Answer ✓
    Actually, I found the answer to my need under Reconcile Accounts. It not only listed all my transactions after decades of entries, but enabled me to add the missing cost basis data. 

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't know how your data transferred, and your particular situation will certainly dictate how you resolve. (I can't see your data to answer for sure.) That said, there is no "Add Cost Basis" command where you can enter the basis for a security. The total cost will be calculated by the underlying transactions.

If you have Placeholder transactions at the beginning of the register, you can edit those, and it will allow you an option to correct the basis amount for those particular shares added.

"Add Shares" transactions also have the ability to do this without affecting the cash balance.

In either of the previous scenarios, what might make this harder is if you have some newer transactions in your register. You will have to figure out how they affect the total cost, and adjust the placeholder/add shares transaction with the difference to make up the balance. 
  • BetteMaron
    BetteMaron Member
    Answer ✓
    Actually, I found the answer to my need under Reconcile Accounts. It not only listed all my transactions after decades of entries, but enabled me to add the missing cost basis data. 
This discussion has been closed.