I want to start all over How do I do this?

How do I start all over like a clean slate with Quicken 2017 home and business. My categories are all jumbled, I need to purge and begin again.

Best Answers

• Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The simplest thing would be to create a new file (on the File dropdown menu there’s an item for New File), you’ll then have a blank canvas with default categories.

It does of course mean you'll have to set everything up again in the new file, so ask if you need guidance with that, or give more specific details if you don’t want to start with a new, empty file. 
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I would always vote for keeping the tangled mess of 3 years worth of data - and just untangle it....
    I would start with the Category List - and scroll thru it and review what's used.
    For each category item, you can click on the "count" and see where/how it was used.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean - My categories are all jumbled

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The simplest thing would be to create a new file (on the File dropdown menu there’s an item for New File), you’ll then have a blank canvas with default categories.

It does of course mean you'll have to set everything up again in the new file, so ask if you need guidance with that, or give more specific details if you don’t want to start with a new, empty file. 
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Judy Bulcroft
    Judy Bulcroft Member ✭✭
    I mixed up personal expenses with business expenses. I tried to straighten out my categories but its so far gone and I have so many duplicates with slight variations, I created a nightmare. I feel like I need a fresh start and would rather start again then deal with the mess of 3 years os disordered categories and tags. 

• Judy Bulcroft
    Judy Bulcroft Member ✭✭
    I am having a problem editing the categories. It is probably because in the last 3 years worth of transaction entry I used the category somewhere. 
  • Judy Bulcroft
    Judy Bulcroft Member ✭✭
    Thank you, I will try the new file. This time I will try to keep things easier. 
    I have an example for you, to comment on. I run a small business and have several wholesale accounts. I used subcategories under my Business Income category, if I used tags instead, I wonder if it would be easier for me to keep my categories straightened out. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I would always vote for keeping the tangled mess of 3 years worth of data - and just untangle it....
    I would start with the Category List - and scroll thru it and review what's used.
    For each category item, you can click on the "count" and see where/how it was used.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Judy Bulcroft
    Judy Bulcroft Member ✭✭
    I need guidance with setting up a new file, is there a narrative with step by step instructions somewhere. I find the Quicken Help tab difficult to understand.
This discussion has been closed.