Tax Report does not show Security Deposit Liability forfeiture correctly.

Options
kboyz
kboyz Member ✭✭
I'm running Quicken Mac 2019.

I have a rather strange scenario. I collected 2K from a tenant as a security deposit. When they left, I paid 1K to repair the property using my CC and returned 1K to them.

In the CC transaction, I entered Rental Income:Security Deposit Forfeiture as the category and also included a transfer to the Security Deposit [Liability] account. Similarly, I recorded transfer to the Security Deposit [Liability] account  for the 1K payment to the tenant.

Now - when I run the default Tax Schedule report, the repair and income transactions don't show up.

However, if I were to change the category to Rental Property:Repairs, they show up fine. 

I also created a custom transaction report, and the transactions show up correctly in the Security Deposit Forfeiture category I created. Likewise, if I change the category to Repairs, they show up as well. 

Any ideas why this happens?

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @kboyz

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

Is the Rental Income: Security Deposit Forfeiture category marked as a Tax Related category?

If you aren't sure, this can be checked by selecting the Windows menu at the top of Quicken > Categories.

If the category is marked as Tax Related, which Tax Line item is assigned?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • kboyz
    kboyz Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Sarah,
    Yes - it is marked as a tax category.

I added it to the Schedule E and selected Rents Received as the line item.
This discussion has been closed.