CC payment

CC payment seems to have shown up as a cagtegory without any effort on my mart.  In spending, particularly the graph, this duplicates every category since it simply pays all of the other entries that are already there.

Comments

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying that a category named CC payment has replaced what should be a transfer to your CC account?  Don’t know,how that could,happen, but I would do a find and replace to replace it with the correct account transfer name.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• steven rudnick
    steven rudnick Member ✭✭

No.  Last year, autopay to credit card in checking would show us a uncategorized as would the payments in the credit card accounts.  They would balance out so that there was no large net for the graph.  Suddenly there is this new category which is not cancelled by the autopays in the credit card accounts. 

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please check the advanced tab of the customize report settings dialogs to be sure transfers are set to be excluded.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

No.  Last year, autopay to credit card in checking would show us a uncategorized as would the payments in the credit card accounts.  They would balance out so that there was no large net for the graph.  Suddenly there is this new category which is not cancelled by the autopays in the credit card accounts. 

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your account register?

If you are relying on Quicken to automagically fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070116 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

My recommendation is to manually enter transfer transactions into your register before you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    As a follow up to UKR, I have always had "Auto-Accept downloaded" disabled.  Nine times out of ten I will accept all of the transactions as they are.  This serves two purposes; 1) it avoids the issues that you are having and 2) It requires you to at least look at the transactions coming in and that gives you a greater chance of catching something that doesn't belong. 

For example, one day I saw a download that would debit to my checking account for buying a car in CA, I live in GA.  I quickly called the dealer got the details and let the dealer know that it was a fraudulent transaction and they caught the person.  They were an employee at BofA (which I left right after this incident).  The employee somehow had my account number and had checks made in their name with my account number.  The reason I left BofA was because they were not interested in investigating, I did it on my own.  Needless to say BofA refunded my money.
This discussion has been closed.