No Conversion Mac to Win, but is there some means of seeing the data in the Mac version?

I have recently taken over "books" managed for years using QWIN, since the beginning of Q. However 2 recent treasurers used QMac without realizing there was no way back. Is there some way to examine the data in a QMac file? Is there even a one-time paid conversion? I have a year's worth of data that can only be archived currently as a non-readable file.

Best Answer

Answers

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    The major flaw in converting from QMac to QWin is that no investment data is converted. Non-investment data converts to a degree that you may find acceptable - it is certainly readable.

For non investment data, there are two issues:
    • Initially, the categories appear to be scrambled. However, this seems to be a transient condition and simply performing a backup, or closing and reopening the file, restores the integrity of the categories.
    • Transfer links do not convert. Both halves of a transfer appear in the respective registers, categorized as "Transfer", but the link is not present; i.e., you can see that a transfer took place but not where it went or where it came from.
    One might live with the missing transfer link issue. If needed, one might track down the source/destination accounts using the Date, Payee and Amount and possibly any memo field entries.

I am guessing that investment accounts may not be an issue for your circumstances. If so, give the conversion a try.

Use the QXF file export/import for the conversion process.

There is no "one-time paid conversion" that I am aware of. The major problem is on the QWin side - the investment data is in the QXF file but QWin is unable to convert it.  Same with the transfer links in non investment accounts.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• delius69
    delius69 Member
    the file which i have is not a qxf file. it's file type is .quickenbackup. i have no investment data.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give the QFX file a try.
    In QWin, from the menu bar;
    File > File Import > Quicken Transfer Format (QXF) File
    Quicken user since 1991

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OOPS - I mis-read the OP's comment as to the file type he/she was given.

Yes - you will need to get your hands on a QXF file from QMac.

Quicken user since 1991

This discussion has been closed.