Rental Report Help

Spotteddog
Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
I am hoping to get rental reports that list rent received and expenses per building. I need monthly, quarterly and yearly reports including totals.

If I click on the "Profit/Loss Details" report, I get what I am looking for, but it can only show one month (not quarterly or yearly) and when I print it, it lists the details, but not the totals. This is useless to me.

Any way to get anything close to what I need, so I can eliminate spreadsheets and rely on Quicken to give me what I need? I checked out all the other reports under  "Reports" ( Cash Flow, Tax Schedule, etc.) and that's not what I need.

Thanks

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    You should include your Quicken year, edition and release when initiating a discussion. Example: Q2019 HB&RPM  R18.15 (see Help > About Quicken).

You say you want to get "rental reports that list rent received and expenses per building".

Assuming, by "building", you mean "property"; the Cash Flow report does just that. 

If the Cash Flow report is not working for you, there may not be a single Quicken report that will - you might need to use more than one report ... or stick with your spreadsheets.

If you have a Rental Property edition of Quicken, you can go to Reports > Rental Property > Cash Flow which that includes only rental property transactions and breaks down the income and expenses by Property Tag. Quicken will select only transactions that have "Property Tags. You can elect to show Categories in rows and Tags (Properties) in columns ... or vice versa.

If you don't have a Rental Property edition, you would need to insure that all transactions for a given property have the same Tag - a tag that you use exclusively as a "Property Tag". Then choose Reports > Banking > Cash Flow, and in addition to any other customizations you need, you would Customize the report to select only transactions that are assigned the Tags you use as Property Tags. Here too you can elect to show Categories in rows and Tags in columns ... or vice versa.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    2019 QHBR  R18.16  27.1.18.18 Win 10 1809

"Assuming, by "building", you mean "property"; the Cash Flow report does just that."
    Yes, "property". 

Several years ago, I modified "Cash Flow" into many, many different reports, but that became such a hassle, I went back to spreadsheets. Was hoping now, a few years later, that there might be a better way to get what I need.
    The problem with "Cash Flow" is that it shows expenses per property, but then goes on to list income per apartment unit, not per property. So that won't work.

"Profit/Loss Details"  gives me exactly what I need, but it doesn't print totals and it only can give one month with no way to modify it to give quarterly and yearly data.

Thanks
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Revisiting my above post.
    If I go on the "Business" page and click on  "Profit/Loss Details" I have the option to "View Report". I can then print that report from that screen. That gives me all the information I would need.

That option (View Report) is missing from the Rental page. The Rental page only gives the option to print. That option drops totals. It just provides single transactions.

I tried again to customize something in the Cash Flow report, but there is no way I can find to get a listing of "Income minus expenses with totals on a single page.

Am I missing something?
  • mshiggins
    From C. D. Bales:
    "If I go on the "Business" page and click on  "Profit/Loss Details" I have the option to "View Report". I can then print that report from that screen. That gives me all the information I would need."

[You can also produce that same report at Reports > Business > Profit and Loss Statement.]

But, there is no Profit and Loss report for Rental Properties; that report is only for Business. That's why you can't get a P&L report from the Profit/Loss Details button on the Rental Property tab.

You will have to use a Cash Flow report - I don't understand why that report is not producing the results you want. 

Since you have not provided specific evidence about what is wrong with your Cash Flow report, I can't give you specifics to address the problem.

Start with Reports > Rental Property > Cash Flow. That should produce a basic Cash Flow report that uses only transactions that have Rental Property tags assigned.

The Rental Property Cash Flow report should display one Category per row and one Property per column. All income categories should appear in a group named "INCOME" at the top of the report; all expense categories should appear in a group named "EXPENSES" below the income categories. If Transfers are not excluded from the report, they will appear in a third group named TRANSFERS and appears below expenses.

I suggest you spend a little time working with the Rental Property Cash Flow report until you can post some specifics that will tell us what is not working about it. Don't use a Saved report; start from scratch at Reports > Rental Property > Cash Flow.

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for your help. I found what you are referring to. Yes, if I eliminate transfers, I can get what I need. 

Edit:
    Just realized that the P&L statement that gives me the information my tax person requires only gives a total P&L for all properties combined. My tax person (and IRS) requires each property separately. I am doing: Cash Flow> 1st Quarter> Quarter. 
  • mshiggins
    From C. D. Bales:
    "Just realized that the P&L statement that gives me the information my tax person requires only gives a total P&L for all properties combined. My tax person (and IRS) requires each property separately. I am doing: Cash Flow> 1st Quarter> Quarter."

I don't understand that.

As noted earlier, the only P&L statement report available in Quicken, works exclusively for "business transactions". A "business transaction" is a transaction that has a Schedule C tax line item assigned, or no tax line item assigned and a "Business Tag" assigned. So you can't get a P&L for Rental Property transactions.

If you are starting with Reports > Rental Property > Cash Flow; by default, that report will display one row for each Category and one column for each Property (each property tag) - with one extra column for the Total amount for each Category/Property. Each column (each Property) has its own Total at the foot of the column. 

Please post the exact steps you take to create the "P&L statement" that only shows the total amount for all properties, with no breakdown by property.

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    mshiggins,

I don't think we are on the same page with this.

I need monthly, quarterly and end-of-year reports for each property in this format. See attachment.
    I can get that format (report), but it is a total for ALL the properties combined. I can't find a way to get Quicken to break it down per property.

Thanks 

• mshiggins
    From C. D. Bales:
    "I can't find a way to get Quicken to break it down per property."

You neglected to supply the steps you took to create that "report" as I asked you to. I need all the steps you take from the time you start Quicken until that report is displayed.

My guess is that there is no way to "break [that report] down per property".

I believe you will need to use some other report, and I have provided you with the means to create such a report. You have not explained why that report does not satisfy your needs. 

[In fact, in an earlier post you said this, " ... I found what you are referring to. Yes, if I eliminate transfers, I can get what I need.", about that report.]

It's hard to get on the same page when you don't provide the information needed.

• mshiggins
    edited May 2019
    @Spotteddog please use the image icon  to insert your picture rather than attaching a file. 

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I bothered the community.
    mshiggins, I gave you the information you are requesting in my post above on 5/5.  

I could never get the report I needed in the previous versions of QHBR and needed to use a spreadsheet to get it. I had hoped there might have been some changes over the years. Guess not.

You say "My guess is that there is no way to 'break [that report] down per property'".
    So please, let's just drop it.  
This discussion has been closed.