Investment Performance Report

Options
Cyclist
Cyclist Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in Investing (Windows)
It would be nice to be able to exclude Investment Advisor Fees (typically entered as a withdrawal transaction) from the calculation, providing you with an annualized return after (net of) advisor fees. 

Also, would be great to show actual return for period specified in addition to an annualized calculation. 

Most times I find myself wanting to know how my advisor is doing YTD - not what he's projected to do for the year based on actual performance thus far (annualized), and end up doing the calculation manually.

Tagged:

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Cyclist ,

It is extremely possible now to do it.

First, you needed to enter the transaction manually.
    It is not Investment Advisor Fees, but a Commission Fee.

Then use Reports > Investing > Investment Transactions
    Click on the Customize Reports or Alt-C
    On the Display Tab under Show Columns uncheck Commission.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @cyclist Please see and vote for this idea -- https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7850158/modify-investment-performance-report-so-that-fees-can-optionally-be-excluded#latest
    I think it hits your basic idea.  

Your YTD request can be satisfied by specing the dates for the full year (odd as that sounds) for the investment performance report.  That effectively bypasses the annualization calculation.  
  • Cyclist
    Cyclist Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks q_lurker.  That's a pretty obvious way of getting actual return vs. annualized, as actual return = annualized return for a 1 year period.  For some reason, I kind of figured that Quicken wouldn't let you run a performance report past the actual system date (silly me).  I will post comments to the thread you listed above as to a solution.

thecreator - I be to differ that an advisor fee is the same as a commission fee.  Commissions affect cost basis and are reflected in Schedule D with respect to taxes.  Advisor Fees (fees paid to a professional advisor for managing a portfolio - generally on a quarterly basis) were (no longer, since TCJA eliminated the deduction) a Schedule A deduction (in excess of 2% AGI).  The investment transaction report does not provide annualized return for the period it is run - if it did, would be able to exclude the category for advisor fee (though this would provide an incorrect answer as well - see thread referenced by q_lurker above.
This discussion has been closed.