Quicken 2019 R19.44- Investment shares have disappeared.

Some shares from a specific date/lot have disappeared. On one day, there are 50.019238 available to sell. Then on another day, there are only 26.809793 available to sell. There was no sale of these shares in between these dates. There are no placeholder entries either. Any ideas??

Best Answer

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Are you sure there are no Placeholders? Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure "Show hidden transactions" is checked.

Also make sure your transaction list (register) is sorted by date by clicking on the Date header.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jesse Simpson
    Jesse Simpson Member ✭✭
    Yes, there are no placeholders that I can see. Before I asked my question, I looked into similar questions and saw those instructions regarding hidden transactions. I carefully checked each transaction, looking for any transaction that I did not personally put in- there are none that I can see. I have never downloaded transactions from this particular company. Upon checking several times, there are no prior sales of the missing shares on the company website nor on Quicken. Just gone though. The issue came up when I went to enter into Quicken, a stock sales transaction that sold the "balance" that was not missing.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2019
    If you go to File > File operations > Validate File and select Validate File and Rebuild investing lots, does it identify any errors?

No splits? no spin-offs? no acquisitions? If you hold this security in another account, these transactions might be entered there but would affect your holdings everywhere.

No share class conversion if it is a mutual fund?

Has there been a change to the number of shares you hold as shown on the Financial Institution's website?
  • Jesse Simpson
    Jesse Simpson Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the info. I did as you suggested. Except for learning that I should never delete any account, even if it is closed, there are no issues with the investment account. Regarding the financial institution website, I recently sold the shares and as I went to input the specific lot sales in Quicken, that is when I noticed that they had disappeared in Quicken. I am pretty good with my bookkeeping as I have a Finance degree. Just can't figure out where that set of specific shares went to. I have not sold much from that investment account over the years- maybe 5- 6 times, so it easy to track that sort of thing.
  • Jim_Harman
    Are you saying that if you view the account and click on Holdings and adjust the As of date, there is a date where the number of shares for the security in question changes but there is no transaction in the account for that security on that date?

If so, it sure sounds to me like there is a placeholder in the account and you have not made the placeholders visible by checking the "Show hidden transactions" option as described above.

If you click on the name of the security to display the Security Detail view, is there also nothing in the transaction history for that date?
  • Jesse Simpson
    Jesse Simpson Member ✭✭
    This account has one security in it. I purch the specific lot in question on 11/2003- 50.019238 shares, been buying shares since mid 1990's. Sold some stock (none of that lot) on 12/2010 and I can see all 50 shares as available. Sold some stock 6/2012 and no shares from purch in all of 2002 & 2003 are visible, though I did not sell that lot. Sold some stock 9/2012 and only 23.209445 are showing as available from the 11/2003 lot, I sold them not knowing there was an issue. Fast forward to Mar 2019, sold some shares, sold the balance of the 11/2003 lot that was available on the Computershare website. Upon going to enter the sale in Quicken, those share are not available to sell. This started the research. I have triple checked that the "show hidden transactions" is checked and it is. I do not see any. The total shares in Quicken vs. Computershare has remained accurate all along. Scratching my head here.
  • Jesse Simpson
    Jesse Simpson Member ✭✭
    When I sell shares in Quicken, I am provided "available share lots". On the 6/2012 sale, even though I did have shares available from 2002 and 2003, none were shown as available in Quicken.
    I will try your advice. Thank you
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    "I have triple checked that the "show hidden transactions" is checked and it is. I do not see any".

Do you know how to identify a placeholder, if you see one? 

What, exactly, do you "not see any" of?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.