Removing Stock entered by mistake

Ed5
Ed5 Member ✭✭
DowDuPont Spun off Dow Inc on April first and I entered Dow Inc. directly instead of a spinoff, I now want to correct my mistake and delete Dow Inc. from my Portfolio and Quicken will not let me delete the stock. I have tried to just ignore the Dow entry, rename the Dow Entry Remove the Dow Stock and I still can't now do the Spin-off. Any recomendations would be appreciated. Quicken Premier 2016 is my version I am using. I do not down load my quotes.

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Before we can delete a security, we need to delete all of the transactions that reference the security.
  • Ed5
    Ed5 Member ✭✭
    Where do I find the transactions referencing the security? I deleted the one and only place holder created on April 1st when I added Dow to my portfolio.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We can see the transactions Security Detail View window.  If there are any investment accounts with Display Options set to Keep this account separate, temporarily uncheck the option.  Also, if you haven't already, check the Show hidden transactions preference: select Edit > Preferences...

• Ed5
    Ed5 Member ✭✭
    Quicken 2016 doesn't have that choice window.
  • Ed5
    Ed5 Member ✭✭
    I am still having the same issue with the Spinoff of Dow Inc. from DowDuPont, no matter what I try and name the spinoff, I get the message shown.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're saying that you deleted all transactions related to the new security name in all investment account registers, you should be able to go into the Security List and delete the Security.
    In the Security List make sure you haven't marked this security as hidden and/or that you don't have another one, a duplicate with the same ticker.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ed said:
    Quicken 2016 doesn't have that choice window.
    Yes it does.  You have selected the wrong preference type.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ed said:
    I am still having the same issue with the Spinoff of Dow Inc. from DowDuPont, no matter what I try and name the spinoff, I get the message shown.
    Are you saying you get the error even if you use some random unused name for the new company, for example, "TestName"?  If yes, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
This discussion has been closed.