maximum number of digits allowed on any currency?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I'm looking to purchase quicken. Will use it with Indian currency. What I'd like to know is what would be the maximum no. of digits allowed? Basically can I add amount of more than 100 million?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Sorry, no. The maximum amount in a transaction is +/- 99,999,999.99

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    UKR said:

Sorry, no. The maximum amount in a transaction is +/- 99,999,999.99

(This is listed as both Mac and Windows, so we don't know what platform Dixit wants)

It appears to be working with much larger values on the Mac side. The problem is, however, that few here have tested much of the program to see if it works across the board in all areas. I would suspect reports and other display fields having trouble displaying such large values. I can see a lot of truncation occurring. Thus, I don't suggest it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm actually looking to purchase home and business version of Quicken, hence I'm leaning towards windows version, but if there is no limit transaction amount limit, then I wouldn't mind using Mac version either. Basically my major concern is the transaction amount limit. 
    Just wondering is it still the same with 2018 version? If so why doesn't Quicken change it?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

I'm actually looking to purchase home and business version of Quicken, hence I'm leaning towards windows version, but if there is no limit transaction amount limit, then I wouldn't mind using Mac version either. Basically my major concern is the transaction amount limit. 
    Just wondering is it still the same with 2018 version? If so why doesn't Quicken change it?

Quicken Windows 2018 is the same.

The main reason for not changing it would be what John In NC alluded to.
    As in the GUI layout.

First off there is a balancing act going on when you design a GUI.
    You have to make space for everything, but not make things too big or it doesn't fit on people's screens that are lower resolution.

If all of a sudden every place where you have numbers has to be bigger, that can tip the balance.

But on top of that is just what I just said.  To ensure that you can use the larger numbers they would have to go to every place in Quicken that has numbers and enlarge that text/entry/column/...

And on top of all of this there is the fact that there are limitations depending on what data format they are using to store the numbers both in the program and in the database.  And this also affects rounding errors on calculations.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

I was indeed running into truncation, but I did also enter numbers with 15 zeros. Column widths had max sizes and totals at the top couldn't be fully read. 

The transaction calculations may be correct, but I wouldn't suggest this setup. Moreover, there is no Home and Business for the Mac-so that is likely a deal breaker. 

Dixit: as to why they don't "change it": this program is designed and marketed for the US and Canadian market only. Most users don't have > $n00,000,000 balances, so there is no reason to rewrite the program.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Thanks a lot for all the replies, I have had a lot about quicken from almost all the websites I have searched, but looks like it aint for me. 
  • Ak
    Ak Member ✭✭
    If Quicken is going to claim multi-currency, it has to allow more than 100 million in a transaction. Even people in US and Canada can potentially have a transaction in that range depending on the currency. There are many ways to address the UI issue - allow "thousands only" option for a specific currency and recalc all numbers in thousands for example. This is just a bad limitation in Quicken.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please search the Community for recent discussions and information about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Coinbase, etc. These cryptocurrencies would also require a redesign of Quicken to support transactions with more than 10 digits or more than 2 decimal places. Feel free to add your comments to these discussions.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ak said:
    If Quicken is going to claim multi-currency, it has to allow more than 100 million in a transaction. Even people in US and Canada can potentially have a transaction in that range depending on the currency. There are many ways to address the UI issue - allow "thousands only" option for a specific currency and recalc all numbers in thousands for example. This is just a bad limitation in Quicken.
    I doubt there are many people that have 100 million dollar transactions that are using Quicken to manage their personal finances.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.